Advice for Cara--a good idea?

Weeks passed. For Cara, one of the busiest times of her life. It seemed she was up at all hours of the day and night nursing one or the other of her two little ones. I mean, if they would only get on some kind of a schedule, she thought to herself. It was hard for her and she knew it was also hard for Trent.

At times, Cara wondered why she was doing this. Why was she so insistent that she be the one to nurse her babies? She knew it was not the royal way, and yet it did give her satisfaction to do it herself. Besides, she felt so close to her children, knowing their little ways and how they were much the same and how they were different. She knew that as time went on they would grow up to be very different, having their own preferences, their own personalities.

Most of the time during the day Cara was alone with them as Trent had more than enough to do most days of the week with taking care of matters of the kingdom. With the babies still so small she stayed home with them as she worried they could catch cold or something worse from being around other people. That would change when they were only a bit older and stronger. She was glad when friends stopped in to see her, and always to see Kirah and Brendan.

"Look," she said to her twins. Elke is here to see us." Cara had since their earliest days been talking to her children.

"Hi, Cara. Hi, dear Kirah and Brendan." Speaking to Cara she said, "Each time I come they seem larger."

"Oh, they are. Trent has noticed it too when he carries both of them. Speaking of Trent, it is so sweet what he does with them."

"What, Cara? I can't imagine."

"He takes them both in his arms and dances with them while singing a tune."

"Really?"

"Oh, yes, and they really seem to like it. Their eyes seem to be taking everything in as he swirls around. But after a while, their eyes begin to close and then they go to sleep. Right in his arms while he is dancing."

"Oh, Cara, that is so sweet. Surely a side of Trent I didn't know."

"Yes, and it's so helpful to me to have them both asleep for awhile. It gives Trent and I a chance to talk when they aren't wanting attention because they're wet or hungry. But sit down, Elke. I'm sorry I haven't even offered you anything to drink. Would you like some tea?"

"That would be nice. But I'll get it. No need for you to get up while holding Kirah."

"Thank you. Just help yourself. You'll see cups on the counter."

Elke went to the kitchen area, poured herself a cup from the teapot and came back to sit in the chair next to Cara.

"I'm curious. What do you have in the bag," asked Cara.

"Oh, I forgot." Getting up from her chair Elke got the bag and opening it showed Cara what was in it. "I call them "burp cloths."

Elke held them up for her, and Cara put a hand on the fabric and then picked up one to get a better look at it. "What are they for?"

"You just put them on your shoulder when holding one of your babies. They help to keep whatever you're wearing clean.

"Thank you. I can definitely use them."

They talked a while longer and then the guard opened the door to another woman-Trent's mother. A young girl also came in with her holding something large in her hands.

"Good day. Good day ladies." She came right up to where Elke and Cara had been sitting before they stood up out of respect for the former queen. The queen mother leaned forward to look at the child Cara held in her arms. "Ah, Kirah. Don't you look sweet."

Kirah stared unblinkingly back at her as if she were curious.

"Sit down. Sit down ladies." She motioned to the girl who came in with her to come forward. "I've got something for you, Cara. I hope you like it."

The girl held an object made of leather and padding that formed two small seats. "Is it for the twins?" asked Cara.

"Yes, just so," answered Trent's mother. She took it in her hands to show Cara how it worked. "You see, it has openings for their legs and the leather belts in front are adjustable to provide a secure seat for them that also allows for their growth. It fastens in back to the carriage. That way you and Trent can easily take your children with you."

Cara got up and hugged her mother-in-law. "That is so nice of you, mum. And it looks like it is so well made."

"Oh, yes. I took my idea to the royal carriage maker. I had one like it when Trent was little and carriage man only needed to make one that would hold two children. I'm pleased he did a good job."

Elke also left her chair to look at and feel the leather and fabric. "That is so nice. I wish I had had one when my children were little. Oh, I better get back. So nice to see you Cara. Bye, Your Highness."

After Elke left, Cara told Trent's mother, "I am so pleased my lady with your gift. So thoughtful, and now with the weather warming I will look forward to when we can go on a family outing together."

"You should." Her mother-in-law leaned forward in her chair. With a serious mien, she told her. "Cara, I'm worried about you. The children seem to be doing well but to me you seem wan and sleepy."

Cara opened her mouth to answer, but was quickly interrupted.

"No, Cara, listen to me. I mean I don't know why you were so insistent on nursing your babies, even when you had twins. That is beyond me. But I see how it is taking a toll on you and even on Trent. Don't you see how tired he is? I don't know but I suspect he is also getting up with crying babies or holding one while the other nurses or some such thing."

Cara was definitely not liking how this conversation was going. However, she had lately become aware that Trent did not seem to be quite his old self. What was beginning to distress her is that they had not been close in the way of a man and a woman. She was beginning to miss their intimate love. But, it was not surprising as she was tired and he was tired. Besides, she had not so long ago given birth. Was that the reason? She listened to what Trent's mother had to say.

"Cara, you and Trent both need some time to rest. I happen to know a fine young woman who is just finishing up with nursing her one year old. She would have plenty of milk for your two little ones. Let her take them, if only for a couple of days. You could, of course express your own milk for your comfort and to keep your supply coming."

Cara was taking in everything Trent's mother was telling her. She didn't say anything because she didn't know what to say. In a way, her idea did sound appealing. A little time off from child care for them both. She had never even considered the thought before.

"Well, Cara, you're not saying anything. What do you think?"

Cara saw the queen mother looking at her. She felt she had to say something. "Thank you very much for the beautiful child seat, Your Highness. I'm going to talk with Trent about your idea."

What might happen when Cara and Trent talk about this? I'm not telling--until the next part. Hope you liked this one.