She would give herself to him

To Cara, it seemed she went through the procession, the service and their marital vows in a daze. Only when in response to the bishop's question and she answered "I do" did it suddenly seem real to her. Especially, when she clearly heard Prince Trent also answer "I do."

Now she was married, to a prince no less, and everything in her life was about to change. They left the church to wild cheering and a formidable sprinkling of rice such that they both had to duck lest they get rice in their eyes.

On to the great hall, now festively and richly decorated to host their wedding ball. Even there, Cara felt herself floating through the first dance with her prince, which, due to his injured leg was a close, intimate dance that was for that all the better.

She was glad for those she knew around her, beginning with her father whom she saw talking with Trent's father and the queen in a place of honor raised a little above the dance floor. She saw them seemingly enjoying their conversation, and then what really surprised her was when her father and the queen began to dance together. Looking at the king, she could see that he was not well enough to dance, but evidently he had suggested to her father and the queen that they might enjoy a dance together. She smiled at that, both as it boded well for the friendship between their two kingdoms, and because she saw her father in a new light-as a handsome and quite capable dancer.

She also couldn't miss seeing her sister Evie, who as she thought about it, no matter where she always seemed to find herself in the arms of one of the most handsome younger men in the court. She caught her joyful smile as she danced away in his arms. Evie was a joy in her life, always so vibrantly cheerful that it was no wonder she attracted such fine looking men. Someday, and maybe soon, she would be attending her wedding with her own handsome prince at her side.

She sat, more than danced, due to Trent's disability, enjoying watching those on the floor and fortifying herself with some food and with more wine for what she knew was to come when the dance was over and it would be only Trent and her. Yet she was quite enjoying herself for both Daniel and Rosa and Justin and Gianna were near and their conversations were at times rather intimate and at other times almost scandalously comical. Daniel, in particular, had a wicked sense of humor, finding laughter in the most mundane as well as extraordinary kinds of things.

Then, Daniel asked Trent, not her, if he could dance with her. Trent approved. She walked arm in arm with Daniel to the dance floor. She found him to be funny even as they danced until he spoke to her of Trent, telling her how Trent had quite fallen for her and that she should do nothing to undermine their relationship. At that, Cara looked at him askance shaking her head. No, she would never do anything to hurt Trent. She was a little dismayed that Daniel would even think of something like that.

He escorted her back and the six of them resumed their carefree conversation, whenever one couple or both were not on the floor. Then, Justin asked for her hand after first getting Trent's OK. She walked with him and they began to dance, a slow one, and Cara asked him how he was enjoying his transition from being a stable boy to a royal knight. He surprised her in saying, "I like them both, Cara. I do love the horses, but now I like you own several of them so that is my consolation."

Cara looked at him with surprise. "And being a royal knight, a special friend of Trent's, that does not bring you happiness?"

"It does, but despite how I am dressed so fashionably now, I remain a simple man with I think a keen eye for what is most beautiful in life."

Cara had to turn away from his suddenly penetrating gaze. "I see," was all she could say at the moment. Then it came to her, "What about Gianna?"

Justin suddenly smiled rather broadly. "Yes, she is a woman I am becoming more and more fond of. I could live with her and she could bear my children, our children."

Cara smiled at him as the dance ended and he escorted her back to Trent.

Trent whispered into her ear, "What were you two talking about? Seems something important from what I saw of him and also of you."

"Oh, Trent," she temporized. "You know Justin was our stable boy for all our horses, so I've known him in that way for a long time. Since then, so much has changed for him and for me. Still, we each share memories of how things were before you came into my life."

Trent looked at her and took her hand in his. "He is a fine man, Cara. I understand."

Cara looked into his eyes, trying to understand herself what he was saying. Did he know of the feelings she once had for Justin? Feelings that she no longer felt. Feelings that she no longer felt. Yes, in her mind she said it twice to be sure. Maybe there was in her heart still feelings for Justin, but they were gradually fading away. Now, she was going to give herself completely to Trent. Trent was her destiny and nothing would change that for her. She drew close to Trent and leaning forward placed a tender kiss on his lips.

He searched her eyes for meaning and then pulled her to himself.

Cara felt comfortable in his arms. Yes, she felt she was going to be happy with her prince. She knew little of what it would mean for her in a political, governmental way. But in the way of a man and a woman, yes, she looked forward to their happiness. That Trent could not do what he could before battling the Magyars did not disturb her and she sincerely hoped that it would not overly upset him.

Now, as she looked over the dance floor and at the musicians, she could tell that the ball given in their honor was coming to an end. She looked at Trent and saw he was eyeing her. What was he thinking? Oh my, when she saw his smile and a certain look she knew what he was thinking.