Her great happiness?

Cara could hardly believe it herself, for everything had happened so fast. Her prince and her stable boy, no, she shouldn't say that anymore, her prince and her knight had both made a speedy recovery. True, they weren't completely healed, but well enough that they were both out of bed and doing most of what they liked. How quickly word had spread of Justin's valor in rescuing her from the Magyars. Already, he was becoming a hero among the people. Cara knew that when the day came soon for him to be made a knight, the town and much of the countryside would turn out to celebrate the day.

What was just as fascinating for Cara is that Justin and Trent had become friends, great friends in a bond that was formed while they both were recovering from their wounds. She thought it should have not been too surprising. They both loved horses, the outdoors, and both had thoughtful opinions about life and people. Cara was glad for them. She already knew that Justin would be one of Prince Trent's honored knights at their upcoming wedding.

The wedding! Ah, yes it was forthcoming, though delayed because of her capture and then Trent's fall in battle and his recuperation. But now, the bans of marriage were finally posted on the doors of the cathedral and their wedding day would come in only a matter of time. But first, Justin's day.

* * *

The day Justin would be honored dawned cool, sunny and beautiful. Justin was not seen at breakfast in the great hall, and Cara knew that preparations for a celebratory dinner were taking place in the palace. Then, she heard the horns, announcing the start of the service at the cathedral. She went with Gina to the hall where she was soon joined by the king and queen and by others of the royal family. Below, a colorful and vociferous crowd had already assembled in the courtyard. Knights, ladies and those of special access held places closest to the church. The horns, loud and boisterous, sounded again and from a balcony opening out onto the courtyard she saw the knights beginning to file into the cathedral.

Cara and Gina joined the king and queen going down the stairs and on reaching the courtyard they were escorted by a bevy of knights into the church. Each knight wore his ceremonial best. Once inside, Cara saw Justin at the altar, head bowed, wearing the white gown of purity covered by a red mantle, both symbolic of how he should live out his knighthood in justice and service to others. Cara knew that those to become knights spent the night in prayer before the altar, asking for all the graces becoming to one to hold their exalted position. Yet she also knew that some knights went back on their vows, becoming threats to others and even to women whom they were bound by law to protect.

Cara and Gina and the king and queen and others of the royal family were led to their places in front where they would have the best view of the ceremony. Soon, the front of the church filled with knights and royal ladies, with the commoners filing in to take all the remaining seats behind them. Cara was concerned for the king, who didn't look well, and had walked in with a bit of a shuffling gait. But now she turned toward Justin who knelt alone with head bowed. When Cara turned to look at those behind and to the side of her she saw many ladies of royalty craning their necks to get a better look at Justin. She knew he was a hero in their eyes, as he was in hers, and in truth Cara felt that for some of them their interest in him was more than just passing.

Prince Trent, the bishop and two priests came from the behind the main altar from the sacristy. Cara thought Trent looked particularly dashing in an embroidered crimson doublet over a gleaming white sleeved shirt that narrowed at his wrists. The bishop spoke in hushed tones of the honor and the responsibilities of knighthood as Justin looked up from his still kneeling position to face him. Prince Trent, acting in the place of his father, ceremoniously withdrew the gem embellished sword from its scabbard and stood before Justin, as the crowd hushed to hear the words they knew he would speak. Then, Prince Trent ceremoniously waved the sword, and striking with the flat side first on Justin's right and then his left shoulder said the words, "I dub thee Sir knight."

There was no cheering, for it was a solemn moment, and the church ceremony continued for a time, until the end of the service was announced by the peals of the organ and the crowd filed out. Royalty and knights processed to the great hall where an exquisite dinner awaited them. Cara and Gina took their place with the royal family and the most honored knights, as did Justin, and the servers came to fill their goblets and bring them savory cuts of meat, garnished accompaniments, sauces and fruit.

By the time almost everyone had had time to enjoy the food and drink, Prince Trent raised his glass, and looking at Justin, in a loud voice asked, "Do you have any words to say to all those gathered today to welcome your becoming a royal knight of the kingdom of Bavaria?"

Justin looked at Trent, then at the bishop who was also seated at the head table, and turned a moment to gaze at the crowd of knights and royal onlookers. Looking up, he raised his voice and said, "I am only a stable boy grown into a man and now have the honor, thanks to the king, of rising from my lowly station to become a knight. It is because of Cara that this is so, she for whom I attended her horses even before she reached her maturity.

I grew to know her, to respect her, and my thought was always to assist her whenever I could with the animals she loved so much. Then, when she had the opportunity to engage with Prince Trent, whom I have since come to know as a most gracious and honorable man, I encouraged her, for she would never again have such a wonderful chance for herself and her family. I came with her and her handmaid on the journey to Bavaria. I was the first to waken in the night and see that they were missing, taken by Magyars. I had no armor or skill at fighting, but do know something about tracking horses, for I had frequently had occasion to do so when one or another of the horses of Cara's kingdom escaped.

My concern for Cara was great, and though I had only a knife, I felt that possibly I could rescue her for Prince Trent. Fortunately, I was successful, and that you are honoring me in this way is far more than I could ever have dreamed. I am glad that soon the wedding will take place and am pleased you have chosen to honor a man who only did what needed to be done."

Cara looked at Gina next to her and then toward the king and queen a few seats down. Justin's speech moved her more than she cared to admit, after seeing her old friend receive the the supreme honor of knighthood, and then listening to his humility even at becoming a knight.

That is Justin, she thought, feeling that she could never repay him for risking his life for her. Looking around at the crowded great hall, she felt that many others were moved by his speech. She especially noticed a number of unattached ladies of royalty who seemed to hang on his words and be entranced by his manly presence. Yes, she thought, there are many who seem to be enamored with him. Who wouldn't be? Just to look at him one could tell of his nobility, of his forthrightness, and maybe even see how he could be tender yet strong with a woman.

Ah, that would be for the best, she thought. For him to be attracted to a worthy young lady of nobility. Then, she would know that he was taken. Then, she could give herself wholeheartedly to Prince Trent, for it was her belief, her greatest hope that he truly loved her. And best of all, as the two had become friends, she could enjoy Justin's company whenever the four of them were together.

She could imagine them riding out together into the country, picnicking, drinking wine, laughing, and talking of everything under the sun. She would be happy. That is, if there were no war, when men had to fight and maybe die. But her dream of happiness might never be fulfilled. For there was no one in Justin's life. No one yet.

Anyone have the foggiest idea of where this story is going? Let me know, cause I value your thoughts. Hope you have enjoyed this part. Cheers!