"Oooohhhh," she moaned

"Yes, I will show you how to kill."

Cara noticed he spoke with contempt in his voice. Hopefully not for them. She guessed it was because killing was something he hated to do. Knowing him, knowing his care and tenderness with animals, she thought that was the reason.

Justin went to work, taking the long pole and cutting it into three pieces with his knife—two shorter and one longer. Then he began whittling down each at one end, making handles.

Cara and Gina had been watching him, curious. "Aah, so that's what you're doing," said Cara. Making us clubs.

Justin looked up from his work. "Exactly. We have only my Magyar sword and this knife. I think it will be much easier for you both to strike them on the head with a cudgel."

"I see," said Cara. "Gina, you can do that? Hit them on the head?"

"Yes," she answered. "I am afraid of blood, but yes, I can hit them."

Justin stood up from his work to face them. "Here's what I think will be the best way to get us out of here. When they come, we need to knock them out immediately so they don't know what hit them. Then, you must remove their clothing, including their helmets and put them on over your own garments."

"Oh, no!" said Gina. "To dress like one of them? To wear their clothes? I can imagine how smelly and dirty they are."

Justin looked at her, and in a low, gentle voice said, "Gina, they're not going to let two women walk out of here past the guards dressed as you are. For a time, you must appear to be Magyars. You're also going to need to hitch up your outer dress securely or remove it altogether."

Cara looked doubtfully at Gina. "I don't like it either, Gina, but I think Justin's right. Once we escape we can change back. Right Justin?"

"Yes," he answered absentmindedly. He was thinking of what else he was going to have to do. Specifically, how he would have to kill the Magyars after they removed their clothes. It would be bloody. That, he didn't tell Cara and Gina. He knew that when knocked out, people usually return to consciousness relatively soon. For safety, he couldn't let that happen.

"We might as well try to sleep," said Cara. "Morning breakfast is a long time to come."

"I don't want to wait that long," said Justin. "It would be much better if we can leave in the dark of night when most people are asleep."

"But they don't come until morning to take us for breakfast."

Justin looked at the heavy, locked door. "I think we can make them come sooner. If one of you girls start moaning, as if you are in pain, I think they might come in to investigate."

"Oooohhhhh!"

"Gina, that's good."

"That's the idea," said Justin. "Maybe a little softer. We don't want a bunch of them coming in, only one or two."

"Ooooohhhhhh."

"That's the way, Let's wait a little longer to begin until most people are asleep."

They waited perhaps another half hour and then Gina began again.

"Oooohhhhhhh."

The girls took up their cudgels and Justin told them where to stand in front of the door, hiding their clubs behind them. That way the Magyars would see them and not him. He stood close to the wall on the door opening side, ready to knock out the first man, and stationed Cara and Gina where they both could strike the second man. Justin thought that even if three came, they would still have a good chance of knocking them all down.