To die for her?

Cara and Gina were locked in the room. It was spacious, and while there was a large bed where they could both sleep, there was nothing to eat. Worst of all, they had no contact with anyone, which left them with only their own ideas of what would happen. During the long night, they commiserated with each other, for though the bed was comfortable, worry about what the morrow might bring kept them awake for much of the night. Finally, they could see light peeking through the high upper window, too high for them to be able to look out.

By this time, they were both hungry, and Gina said, "Surely they are going to feed us."

"I would think so, though they are sure taking their time about it. I feel claustrophobic being stuck in this one room. Hope they take us out to their hall where the others eat."

Just then, they heard the doors being unlocked, and two Magyars, in military dress with swords at their sides appeared. One of them was the one Cara had known as one of her captors, the one who spoke her own language. Standing there before them, not on horseback, she realized that neither of the men were very tall, only a couple inches taller than herself.

"Come," he said. "That is if you want to eat."

They followed the men where they led to the great hall. Cara looked around with curiosity. She saw women and children, but surprisingly few men. Stationed around the perimeter were Magyar soldiers in full battle dress looking fierce with their full beards, long swords, and conical hats. No knights were to be seen. What had happened to them, she wondered? Had the Magyars killed them all?

She and Gina took a trencher and helped themselves to what was laid out on the long tables. It was typical Germanic fare, she was happy to see, and not whatever the Magyars ate. Not surprising, as she thought about it, for this manor was after all a kingdom like her own, and the cooks would be like those she had known at home. Hungry, she and Gina were ushered to a separate table away from the others. There, two guards stood over them as they ate.

They dined quietly, knowing that the one guard, Csaba, they had learned his name, spoke their language. Cara looked out on the people, and saw their worried appearances. Even the children seemed not to express the joy and carefree manner so usual for them. It was if a cloud hung over them all. The knights kept coming to her mind. Where were they? What had the Magyars done to them? Dare she ask Csaba?

She could not hold it in any longer. "Where are the knights, Csaba?"

"Oh, we have taken care of them," he said with a ghastly, evil smile. "Not something one who might become a princess needs to worry about. What should concern you is how much your prince is willing to pay for your release."

"You will release my handmaiden as well, will you not?"

"If all goes well, maybe. If not, I would not want to be her. Or you, for that matter."

"You must release her also!"

"Little princess," he said, bending toward her with a wicked smile. "You are not in charge here. You can order no one. Best for you to keep quiet."

Cara turned abruptly away from him. She wished she could have struck him down right then and there. Unfortunately, she could do nothing. Hopefully, her prince would come. And after her release, he would chase these evil people down and kill them all. That was her wish, her hope. Though, her conscience spoke to her, maybe not kill all of them. Only the worst of them. Like Csaba, in particular.

* * *

Justin kept out of sight of the Magyar guards who seemed to have regular routes they rode to be on the lookout for enemies. He ducked out of sight whenever one came by. He kept the horses out of sight as well. For them, food was easily obtained in nearby meadows and a quiet stream providing water. As for himself, he had found berries and edible plants he had pulled up from the ground and prepared with his knife for a meal. Not the most appetizing fare, but enough to stave off hunger until he could eat ordinary food again.

He considered the situation. The Magyars had conquered this small, fortified manor and taken Cara and her handmaid there. The fact that they had taken only those two in the night seemed to mean that they knew she was a highly valued person worth much in ransom. They may have learned that she was to be married to the prince. Yes, he thought, that was their motive in capturing her.

Yet he knew Prince Trent was not in Bavaria. He and his men traveled to the west where the forces of the Magyars had last been seen. There, they might do battle with the enemy hoping to defeat them and to obtain her release. However, they did not seem to know that at least a portion of the Magyars had gone east. If these Magyars were hoping to gain immense wealth from her capture, they would have to wait a long time.

In the meantime, Cara would be subject to whatever treatment they had in mind for her. He hoped for the best but could not expect it. Another thought came to him. What if Prince Trent came, in command of a superior army that could easily storm this small manor. What if they did that instead of pay what would likely be an enormous ransom? Even if the prince's knights killed all of them, the Magyars could kill Cara before she could be rescued. Better, Justin thought, for him to attempt her rescue himself. Better one man should die for her, if his attempt failed, than take a chance on her being killed.

Justin didn't know why he felt the way he did, for even if he tried successfully to rescue Cara, there would be no benefit to him. The girl was espoused to Prince Trent, and with his success or failure that wouldn't change anything. He knew that. And yet, he felt a devotion to her that had no explanation. He thought about that. He was only a stable boy and she was to be a princess. The moon and the stars looked down on them both, but hers was a life that people might read about in history books. His, a life that at its passing not a word would be said. Yet, if he could somehow save her, his life would have meaning. He vowed to try.

What is he going to do? See in the next part. Sorry if this one was a bit short. Needed to travel, and then had a short, temporary sickness. Still, hope you liked it. Expect much more to come. Love your comments.

By the way, if you like this one and haven't yet read another story of mine that's been popular on wattpad, "Dark Age Maiden," let me recommend it to you. It concerns a girl, Lady Carina, who boldly refuses her father's choice for marriage and is soon courted by a count and a knight. Lots of adventure, romance, and one big, unanswered question that comes out toward the end. Thinking you will enjoy it.