"There's more to love than that"

Hey, friends, fans, readers. For those of you who have enjoyed Dark Age Maiden, this story is set about 200 years later in history. The world of knights, princes, and kingdoms--all that is medieval is well established in Europe. Yet there are still battles to be fought and love to be championed. For Cara, the heroine of this story, she suddenly must be married off. Does she have any choice? Will it be someone she could love? A prince?

Cara looked out her little window far up in the castle at the moon. Strange how it was so full and yet partly obscured by veils of mist. No matter. Cara looked away, thinking of how so much had changed in her life. Especially her mother, now deceased. How Cara missed her. How angry Cara had been at her doctors, who said this and that and in the end could do nothing for her.

At one point Cara had even yelled at them. It was wrong of her, Cara knew. They had tried to help, but even with all their learning, they didn't know what to do for her.

Now her mother was gone, and tears fell again on her cheeks. So much had happened. Everyone took it hard, most of all her immediate family, her father, her little sister Evie, her brother, and herself. The only good thing about it was that her death pulled them all together. They needed each other more with her mother gone. But, there was one thing Cara didn't want. Her father said it was time for her to marry. At almost eighteen, he said by this time Cara should be married. The only problem was that there was no one she wanted to marry.

Cross out that thought, Cara corrected herself. There was one, and looking back, impossibly another. Cara returned to the window to look out across the courtyard toward the stable. Yes, there was one Cara would think about-the stable boy. The way he looked at her, something in his eyes that made her want to know more of him. The thing is, would her father ever approve? No, that was the problem. Cara didn't think so.

The other, she remembered from the joust. Oh, on those fine late spring days when her family and many of the knights traveled to the kingdom of Bavaria. The excitement, the food, the pageantry when knights from all over the kingdom prepared to fight each other for honor and glory. Even some of her father's knights had attended, and one, Roderick, had achieved a measure of fame for how well he clashed with other knights.

But most of all, she remembered the young knight who fought anonymously, with no insignia or anything to tell who he was. He was striking everyone down in the jousts, and then as she watched, suddenly he lost his helmet. She was so intent on watching him that she rose from her seat and cried out in alarm. That's when he looked up at her, and smiled, telling her without words that all was OK.

His squire right away picked up his helmet and gave it to him, and he was off, defeating every combatant he faced including Roderick. Later, she learned that he was the son of the powerful king who had sanctioned  the tournament. Yes, she would never forget him, his smile, his tawny blond hair, his carefree manner as he looked at her in an almost comical way, telling her without words, "Not to worry. I'm fine." She learned his name, Trent, Cara wondered if she would ever see him again.

That was last year, and now her father was planning for her future. He would be happy for her to be given to the son of a lord. Someone who would consider taking a girl from a quite small kingdom without much of a dowry. Cara had some knowledge of these things from when she talked with other girls at festivals. Girls like herself who had little to give other than their youth. Some ended up being taken by men twice their age. Oh, how she would hate that!

Cara realized that she had somehow acquired a taste for something more romantic than a union with a middle aged man. Was it from the troubadours who sometimes came to entertain at the great hall of her father's castle? Was it from the books Cara secretly stole away and sometimes read when her father didn't know?

Cara looked down again toward the stable, trying to catch a glimpse of Justin, the only one Cara knew whom her heart would . . . Aah, is it written in stone that a princess, no matter how humble must marry royalty? To her father, Cara knew the answer was yes. Soon, on his invitation, people would be arriving to take a look at her. Oh, there would be a formal dinner, music, and even dancing-all to tell the world that she was of marriageable age and available. Couldn't there be a better way of doing this? she thought.

But who would come? Certainly not the truly handsome prince from the large and prosperous kingdom of Bavaria. Not Trent, winner of the jousts. Not someone who would take her breath away. Her father was a hopeful man, who she knew loved her. He would extend invitations even to far off kingdoms, even the wealthy ones, but Cara felt she was more realistic than him. Unlikely that anyone truly handsome and princely would come to the celebration. Cara sighed. What was she going to do?

Her father had ordered great barrels of food to be harvested, the hunters had bagged more than a dozen deer and wild turkeys, and the great hall was decorated with heraldic colors and red and blue streamers. Every available space was cleared to make room for the arrival of guests from afar.

Evie skipped into her room. The girl was several years younger, with auburn hair and always a bubbly manner. "Oh, sister," she announced. "I'm so excited. Everyone will be here and father is getting everything ready for the celebration in your honor." The girl looked quizzically at her sister. "Aren't you excited, Cara?"

Cara reached an arm out to her sister, and putting a hand on her shoulder said, "Evie, you just don't know who you could get stuck with. Men will be looking at me, some watching my every move. Doesn't sound like fun to me. What really scares me is if some portly older man asks for my hand. I'm afraid father would give me away to him or to the highest bidder if more than one is interested."

"But Cara, I'm sure there will be young men there too. Maybe you will be sought by a prince."

Cara smiled at her, a knowing smile compared to the joyful one of her young sister. "We can always hope, darling Evie."

"Yes, you hope for the best. Maybe someone will surprise you. I will keep an eye out too. After all, I'm not so far from marriage age myself."

Cara laughed. Evie you're only twelve, going on thirteen. Enjoy things while you can. Marriage isn't all that easy."

Evie tossed her head. "With a wealthy prince it would be easy. There would be carriage rides escorted by guards to see all the wonderful things in the country, fine garments to make you look your prettiest, wonderful food, and of course the adulation of your subject peoples. That and. . ."

"Oh, Evie," Cara interrupted her. "What would all that matter if you didn't have love?"

Evie turned to look directly at her and speaking in a most positive voice said, "I would have love too. I love you."

Cara reflected how her sister always said the most endearing things. "Oh, you ninny," Cara answered, smiling and grabbing Evie quickly by the shoulders though her sister slid out from her hands. "The love of a man and a woman is different."

"Oh, I know about that," Evie quickly answered.

Cara took a step back, hands on her hips and looked at her young sister. The girl was so smart. All Cara could think to say back to her was, "There's more to love between a man and woman than 'that.'"

"I'm off," said Evie, quickly slipping through the door.

Cara stood thinking about their conversation long after Evie left.

OK, that's the first part. Let me know what you think. Love your thoughts, and here, at the beginning they are especially needed. Should I continue? Oh, and if you see any errors, let me know that too. I'm trying to be a good writer.