Something she should not do

Entering her room, Cara saw immediately that Evie was not there. She looked at the place, things were scattered about, just as if she had left quickly, not caring anything about how her place looked. Cara walked out and went to the great hall where a fair number of people were eating. Standing tall, in front of where most of them sat she raised her voice. "Has anyone seen my sister, Evie?"

She saw them murmur to each other and then one man spoke. "I saw her here in the hall eating a late breakfast."

No one else spoke up, and Cara left the hall with the strong conviction now in her mind that Evie had slipped away. She went back to her children and Elke, telling her of her concern for her sister. Elke understood how serious it was for Evie to leave and she quickly packed up her books, gathered her two children, and left Evie to be with her own children.

Cara knew what she must do. Leaving the children to themselves for a short time, she quickly penned a letter.

"Trent, I'm sorry but Evie has escaped. My friend, Elke, saw a person her size in military gear outside her apartment. I checked with people in the hall and no one there had seen her since late at breakfast. This makes me believe that she is on her way to join you and the knights. She is wearing the battle dress of a knight, I don't know where she could have got it. I'm not sure how soon she will arrive at your encampment, but I hope you and your knights can recognize her and take her back before she gets herself hurt. Your loving wife, Cara. "

Quickly finishing the letter, she went to the hall and found a courier, telling him of its importance and to take it with utmost speed to King Trent. The man bowed to her, said, "Yes, my lady," and then turning, rushed off to do his duty. Cara breathed a sign of relief. Trent would be notified. Hopefully in time.

* * *

Evie had got past the gate with no problem. She muffled her voice and for all she knew the guards might have thought that she was somehow delayed and she was now going to join the other knights to fight the enemy. Before long, she had reached the edge of the forest and though she didn't know the route of the army, it wasn't hard, even for her, to read the signs of where hundreds of mounted knights had traveled. She hoped she could reach them by nightfall, but was prepared with food, drink and a blanket in case she didn't.

As she rode along, following the great number of hoof prints and occasional horse droppings, she thought about what Cara had told her. That she shouldn't go and that she could very well be putting herself in danger. And especially what she said that going to battle is men's work, not something she should even consider doing. Evie galloped along, letting her horse lead the way. She was thinking. Maybe I should not have come. Maybe Cara was right. But then, right away, she felt differently about it. She knew that, unlike her sister, she had always been kind of a tomboy, feeling she could do just about anything a man could do. That's why she had worked so hard practicing so that she could shoot a bow and arrow better than almost anyone.

As she thought about it while trotting through the mostly silent forest, she realized that there was a lot more to it than that. It was Richard. He was her first love, her only love, and when she was with him she didn't feel like a tomboy at all. She felt like a woman. And for Evie it was a very good feeling. One she didn't want to lose. Maybe that was why she wanted to be with him on the battleground. Because if he should fall, she would want to fall with him. To be at his side. To die with him like two noble star crossed lovers. Oh, it was hard for her to think that way. She thrust those thoughts from her mind. No, she didn't want to die with Richard, she wanted to live with him. She wanted to be his loving wife and in time bring children into their world. That's what she really wanted. She sped up her horse, hoping she could reach the army before nightfall.

* * *

Back at the castle, Cara worried about her sister. She had learned that she had set off to find the royal army, probably before noon. Going that late, she didn't think she would be able to reach the army before sunset. No one could travel in darkness so that would mean that Evie would be a young woman alone in the forest all night long. Cara shuddered to think of wild animals who might find her. Worse still, if she was found by enemy soldiers. A young girl in the hands of the enemy! As darkness came over the land Cara tossed and turned in her own warm, comfortable bed, saying prayers that Evie would be safe.

* * *

Evie couldn't go on any further. She could just barely see the ground in front of her past her great horse's head. She had been listening intently, hoping to hear any of the sounds a large troop of soldiers might make in the distance, but except for the calls of birds making their last cries before complete darkness, she heard nothing. She didn't dare continue on without knowing where she was going. Better to look for a place to spend the night.

Evie was and always had been an outdoor kind of girl. She loved the forest and meadows and had camped out several times before. But never alone. She did not look forward to sleeping alone without a tent in the forest. She had brought a blanket, but that was all. As she rode slowly now, she began looking around in the dim remaining light for a place to lie down. Spying the huge trunk of a massive tree, she went toward it. At least it could give her some protection on one side. With her bare hands, she scraped together some leaves, a place to rest her head. Then she laid herself down and pulled the blanket over her. Completely awake and unable to sleep, she remained alert for the sounds of any creatures in the night. The thought came to her, I should not be doing this.

Note. I think we can all agree, Evie should not be doing this. Too dangerous for a woman alone. We can only hope for the best.