Don't do it. Don't go!

Cara was not the only one worried. She knew that all the women in the kingdom whose spouses or sons were going into battle would be worried at a time like this. The day was drawing near, very near when she would have to say goodbye to Trent, to wish him well and to pray and hope that he and the other men would return home safely.

It was early the next morning when he came to her and, closing his arms around her in a tight embrace kissed her goodbye. What else could she say but, "I love you Trent. Please be careful. Try to be on your horse when you have to do battle."

"Don't worry about that, Cara. My leg is much better. But yes, I will be careful. There is no one that I want to return to more than you and our angel children."

"They will miss their father," Cara said simply.

"And I will miss them too. I hope that I, that we, will not have to be gone long. But Cara, there is something else. Your sister."

"Trent, I think I know what you are going to say."

"Yes. I do not want her on the battlefield with us. She is too much of a danger. Especially if she should fall into the hands of the enemy. Please keep an eye on her, Cara."

"I will, Trent. I will check on her every day. No, twice a day."

"Good. My hope is to soon be back in your arms again with the threat of the Magyars completely banished from our land."

"You know I will be waiting for you, Trent."

They kissed deeply one more time, and then Trent turned, his sword rustling in its scabbard at his side as he resolutely walked to the door. One more turn toward Cara and he was gone.

The children were still asleep and Cara's mind went immediately to her irrepressible sister, Evie. Cara, as well as Trent feared that she would in disguise try to join the battle with the knights. All because she wanted to be alongside Richard, to whom she would soon be married. Cara knew Evie took pride in being one of the best archers in the kingdom, besting even Cara in recent times. Still, Cara fully agreed with Trent that a woman does not belong on a battlefield.

Leaving the children in their beds, she decided that she would immediately check on Evie, to assure herself that she was safe in the castle. She notified the guard outside her door that she would be right back, and then went out, still wearing her morning robe to Evie's apartment.

She knocked lightly on the door. There was no answer. She called to her, "Evie, it's me, Cara." Still no answer. She tapped again on the door, waited a few moments, and then tried pushing on it. The door wasn't locked. Walking into the darkened apartment, she soon came to the bedroom. As her eyes adjusted to the low light she was able to make out Evie on the bed, her long hair splayed out around her head as she lay sleeping on a pillow. Cara tiptoed back out lest she wake her, and closing the door returned to her own suite, glad to know Evie was safe in her own apartment.

Now, for Cara there was little to look forward to until a courier would bring news on what was happening with Trent and his army. She heard the children wakening, making their little first exploratory cries letting her know they were about ready to get up. She went to them, changed their diapers, got them dressed and soon had made and set before them their breakfast. She talked to them while doing everything as she always did, for how else were they to learn except from the talk of their mother and father? Besides, it wasn't work, she loved talking to each of them, and it was so delightful to her as they were just beginning to try to use those same words back to her. Mama was already firmly in their vocabulary as was dada.

Elke was coming today with her two children. Their time together was planned before either of them knew when the men would set off for war. Cara looked forward to her visit. There was a knock on the door and almost immediately Elke and her children were ushered in by the guard. Cara and Elke spontaneously hugged each other in greeting. With their spouses off to war they both felt the tension of not knowing if or when their spouses would return safely. There was no need to speak of the fear and concern in their hearts.

Elke's children, Garrick and Inga, went right away to see Kirah and Brendan where Cara had left them with her on the sofa before she rose to greet Elke. The two mothers looked on as the two older children began talking to the twins in an animated way. It was amazing how they were quickly able to get both of Cara's children laughing with glee.

"I had to tell Garrick he couldn't bring his wooden sword with him today. He fussed about that," said Elke. "Seems he always wants to be with it, so he can be like his father. I'm glad that now he has forgotten it."

"Children grow so fast," said Cara. "Seems such a short time ago that your daughter Inga was a baby and look at her now. She must already know at least a hundred words. And Garrick, his vocabulary is amazing."

Cara enjoyed having the opportunity of talking with Elke on a day like today when they could be together with their children. Elke had brought books with her, some Cara didn't have, that they planned to read to the children. Cara had made some delicious snacks and tea for the occasion.

After more conversation they got out the books. Cara sat in the middle with Kirah and Brandon on each side of her. She showed them the little books with drawings and read to them the words underneath describing what was in the pictures. Across the room from her, on another sofa, Elke also read to her children. Both mothers wanted their children to grow up smart, fully capable of reading any book or document of importance. It was a wonderful time for sharing.

Suddenly, Cara thought of Evie. She felt a strong need to again check on her. "Elke, Trent and I are worried about my sister. You know she joined the men on the battlefield once before. I really should take a minute to look in on her. Would you watch the children a few minutes while I do that?"

"Of course, you go, Cara. I just passed her apartment on my way here. There was a man there at her door in full battle gear. It kind of surprised me because I know her fiance, Richard, is with Trent and the army."

Cara stopped in her tracks. "A man. Did you see what he looked like, Elke?"

"No, his face was kind of covered. He was short though, I remember that about him."

"Oh, no! I hope it wasn't Evie! Wait here for me, Elke."

Cara went immediately to the door and rushed out. "Please don't let it be Evie," she said under her breath as she hurried toward her sister's apartment.

Author note: I'm worried about Evie going to the battlefield. Especially with her upcoming wedding to Richard.