Too young?

It was with a mixture of joy and sadness that they made their way back to the castle. The sadness was because Emma had died, but in dying had thought to save her charges. The joy was because Cara and Trent now held their children in their arms as they traveled. The carriage was smashed, far too badly to be repaired, and Justin carried the lifeless body of Emma back to where Trent had vowed she would be honored in death at her funeral.

A grand funeral was held for her, and even the bishop spoke wonderful words of elegy honoring her. Cara was especially sad at seeing Emma's husband and children look on at her passing. She knew that Trent would make sure that the family was never in financial need, but the loss of a beloved wife and mother was something no money would ever supplant.

But going forward, Cara was happy. Her children were growing in size and cuteness, and like any mother she noted with joy their first words, their little ways, and their first attempts to walk. Cara was happy to see that Trent was so involved with them, playing with them on the floor, lifting them up sometimes above his head, laughing at little things they would do, in all, becoming a great father to them. Even when they cried, usually over something small, Trent was able to get them to stop and even to laugh at the funny faces he often made when playing with them. Cara marveled at him. Her love for him had only increased in time, and she had no idea when they married that he would be such a wonderful father to their children.

Things seemed to be going smoothly. Trent and his advisors monitored the movements of potential enemies near the border. Cara, Trent and their friends took short trips together as before, though every one of them remembered well how the weather had suddenly changed on the tragic day that Emma died. What was much more interesting for Cara was the news of Justin and Gianna's plans for marriage.

The news, when Justin told her, should not have come as a surprise for she had seen how close they had become to each other. Nevertheless, Cara still thought of Justin in a special way. How he at first was her stable boy who even then brought out something in her, and then how he had single-handedly, with great courage rescued her and Gina from the Magyars. That, she could never forget. In truth, had Trent not entered her life, she could have chosen Justin, despite that he was only a stable boy. Even then, she had seen much more to him than that.

Now, he had been elevated to royal knight status, was a personal friend of Trent, and was going to marry a woman who in her own country was formerly a princess. She would be happy for him.

With so many of her thoughts centering on Justin and Gianna's wedding, Cara didn't think anything of it when Evie came to her apartment to visit with her and the children. It was only when Evie announced, "I want to get married too! Richard and I want to get married," that Cara was surprised.

Cara looked at her sister. She saw the determination in her eyes. More than that, she felt that though Evie was still young, she had not wavered in her feelings for Richard. "I know, Evie. I think I know how you feel."

"Do you?"

"Yes I do. And furthermore, I think you and Richard have waited long enough."

Evie stopped pacing and instead swooped down to give Cara a huge hug. "Oh, my sister, I can hardly believe what you just said! I love you. Do you know that Richard and I were actually beginning to talk about riding off together with some of his men to his father's kingdom?"

"Oh, Evie, I'm glad you didn't do that. You and he can be married right here in all pomp and circumstance."

"One thing, my sister," said Evie. "You don't think Trent will have any objection to our getting married, do you?"

Cara took a moment before answering. "No. Well, anyway, I don't think so. I know he likes Richard. I'll talk to him."

"Wonderful, Cara. He will listen to you. Though Trent is young for a king, to me he sometimes seems a bit old fashioned. But this is my life and Richard's. We should have joy in our lives too, like I know you and Trent have in yours. Yes, talk to him, Cara. He will listen to you."

That evening, when Trent returned from his afternoon practice and exercises with the knights, Cara was anxious to talk to him about Evie. She wanted to be alone with him, so she ordered a special meal from the kitchen to be brought to their suite. He came in, kissed her, and went right to their children who at their young ages already enjoyed the return of their father. He took them both into his arms, spoke baby talk with them and made faces that made them laugh. Cara loved to see the smiles on the three people she loved most. Then, putting them down, he went to the wash basin to freshen up.

With a tap on their door, the food arrived, and the young man making the delivery set the bowls on their table as Cara directed. They gave thanks and proceeded to eat. Cara at first listened to what Trent had to say about his day before she brought up what she felt was exciting news about Evie and Richard.

Trent listened to her, but taking a moment to wipe his mouth with the serviette, said, "But Cara, don't you think they are too young?"

Cara  hoped that Trent would see her point of view and she started with, "A little maybe, but they have had a chance to get to know each other better and they do seem quite compatible, my lord."

"Yes, I agree, they seem to get along well. I don't know about Richard, but I wonder if Evie has even known another man besides him. My thought is that she has no experience with men."

Cara looked at him and said, "Trent, I think you could also say that about me. I mean, besides knowing the stable boy, who did I know when you came to our kingdom?"

"I suppose that is true, but on the other hand, I had known many women. I knew that you were special.

Cara didn't like the way the conversation was going. In particular, Trent's words that he "had known many women" grated on her. "Are you saying that because you had "known many women" was the reason you chose me?" she said, looking him straight in the eye.

Trent could see that his wife was not happy. He said simply, "I saw something extraordinary in you."

Cara was still not particularly satisfied with his answer. "You mean over all the other women?"

"Darling, I'm a prince. Women are attracted to a prince. I'm sorry, I cannot help it. But yes, I did have some experience with women and with that knowledge I knew you were above them."

"Trent, I'm glad you saw me in that way. I am happy with you most of the time but not just now. I agree with you that Evie and Richard are young. But by now they have had a longer time to know each other and to me they seem very much in love. Don't you think they've waited long enough?" 

Young lovers. Can be dangerous today. But back then was a different time.  A time when most people didn't live nearly as long as they do now. What is Trent going to say? And, what else do you think is going to happen? Hope you have enjoyed this part. Welcome your thoughts and ideas.