No! Not him!

They watched in horror as the great siege tower reached the wall near where Trent and Justin fought the few Magyars who had managed to scurry up the ladders and climb over the wall. Then, the great hinged door on the tower dropped down on top of the wall. Suddenly, at least fifty fully armed enemy fighters jumped down onto the parapet to do battle with the smaller force of knights who met them. Cara watched what was happening and saw other knights from further along the wall rush to help the beleaguered knights who were suddenly outnumbered.

Cara and Gianna looked on fearfully as the knights fought valiantly, but there was nothing they could do to help from where they looked down on the melee. Each knew that to try to shoot arrows into the mass confusion would only risk skewering their own men. "We've got to do something," yelled Cara as she turned from the riveting action to face Gianna.

"But what?" asked Gianna. "Our arrows would kill or wound the knights just as well as the enemy."

"Eureka!" exclaimed Cara. "I have an idea. Quickly, put on the armor, let's grab our bows and plenty of arrows and go down there. If we can get up close enough, we can unleash our arrows at the enemy."

Hurriedly, they strapped on the armor and then they both dashed down the stairs and across the courtyard to the wall where the knights were courageously hanging on against superior numbers. Standing upon the highest positions they could find, they fired at the enemy, and were glad to hear their screams as their missiles pierced the chain mail armor of their adversary. But their arrows did not go unnoticed, for soon two Magyars rushed toward them, brandishing their evil curved swords. Cara, like Gianna had no sword, nor even a shield to block the blow. They dodged the strike of the sword and ran, leaving their arrows behind but holding onto their bows. Fortunately, they were faster than the two Magyars who had come after them, for besides their swords and armor they were weighed down with their heavy shields.

Now, standing from afar, there was nothing they could do but look on. The battle raged on and the screams of those cut by the blades continued. But as time went on, Cara was glad to see that the knights were gaining the upper hand on the ramparts. Before long, they seemed in to be in control, as the last of the attackers were killed or thrown down to likely death or at least serious injury over the high walls. As Cara watched, she saw the knights throwing even those who didn't move over the wall, and she knew that at least for the present the battle was won. But, despite all the dead and wounded men of Bavaria, she saw a number of knights bending over one man of their own. As she approached, she saw an opening in the men around the victim. Then, with horror she realized that it was Prince Trent.

Suddenly overwrought with fear, she screamed at them, "Is he alive?"

Justin was there. He spoke to her as she drew near, "Barely, my lady. He fought courageously but was attacked by two of them at the same time. He killed them both, but. . ." His voice trailed off.

"Oh my God!" she cried out. "If he is alive we must get him immediately to the operations center!"

They hurriedly did as she said, and she followed them there. One of the doctors, on realizing that it was the prince who was being brought in, immediately found a bed for him. Then he had the knights help him to remove his armor and then his clothing at the site of his wounds. Cara saw the doctor shaking his head as if there was little hope, and she bowed her head as unbidden tears filled her eyes. The doctor sent the men away, and she came up to him, a question in her eyes. He seemed to know her unspoken words, but even with her he only shook his head. Cara knew better then to ask him the question that was burning in her mind, would he live?

She turned and slowly walked out of the operations center staring straight ahead, neither looking at or acknowledging anyone. She went straight to her apartment, shutting and locking the door.

What was she going to do? The man for whom she was brought to this kingdom lay dying. Was there any chance that he might yet live? The doctor attending to him, shaking his head no should have been enough for her. But some hope remained within her. Yet she realized that if he did survive he might be a permanently disabled man.

Cara retreated to her bed and lay there, staring at nothing. She remembered her first meeting with the prince, his first kiss, and then everything that happened so quickly after. Then she stopped, and lifting her eyes to heaven she prayed. Like any woman in love with a man who lay near death, she prayed, hoping that she would be heard by the almighty. Time passed and it seemed to her that it was not long before she heard a soft knock on her door. Not sure if she was hearing things, she didn't rise. It came again, and wiping away any remaining tears she went to the entrance. Standing at the door she asked, "Who is it?"

"Gianna," came the answer. She opened the door and Gianna stepped inside. The women embraced and Gianna said, "I'm sorry, Cara. Surely, this was not meant to be."

"Have you learned anything?" Cara asked hopefully.

"No, nothing."

Cara stood there, her thoughts vacillating between one idea and another. Then she said to Gianna, "Gianna, I am afraid. Afraid of. . ." Her voice trailed off."

"I understand."

"No, that's not it, Gianna. I am afraid to go to the center. Afraid to go for if I find out the worst, I don't know what I will do. Would you come with me?"

"Yes, I will go."

Cara took a dark shawl from the garderobe. Fearful that she would learn the worst, she would cover her head in mourning. The two women walked together slowly, side by side toward the operations center.

So sad. Know I'm leaving you in suspense as to what will happen next. If you have a comment or guess on what is coming it is appreciated and welcomed. Hope you enjoyed this part and think you will be surprised by the next part.