Getting ready to party

Cara was excited. To have her husband back safe and sound, the man she loved most deeply and intimately was wonderful. And the twins were happy too to have their father back home. But he didn't get to see them all that much because being away for so long defending their borders meant that on his return there was much to do; many meetings, conferences and decisions to be made in regard to running the kingdom. With all that, Trent often didn't return to their royal suite until late.

Of one thing, Cara was especially glad. King Trent was going to have a great party to celebrate the departure of the Magyars. He told her that their leader must have been killed in the skirmish when they rescued Evie and Stefan. Why else would the entire army have given up the fight? Cara didn't even have to mention the idea of celebrating, for it was his idea entirely. In fact, he had bigger plans than she had envisioned. For one thing he wanted to wait until Saturday evening to give hunters enough time to get fresh deer venison and to give the cooks enough time to prepare special desserts and other treats. Furthermore, he wanted the peasantry to partake as well as the knights and royalty. In fact he planned to invite some of them to join him in the great hall.

Since the great hall wasn't large enough to invite the whole town, Trent wanted to extend the feast with music and dancing into the courtyard where all could come and enjoy the king's benefice. Cara liked his ideas, she knew her husband to be a kind and generous king. She had only one concern. She knew the peasants were mostly goodhearted hard working people, but she also knew that they could sometimes become unruly, especially when they had too much to drink. She hoped that Trent's generosity would not cause any problems.

But that was only a side thought. Otherwise, Cara and the whole kingdom were looking forward to the evening two days hence when the fun would begin.

That same day her friend Gianna came to see her. It was in the afternoon before dinner and the twins had awakened from their naps.

"Oh, my," said Gianna, "they seem bigger each time I see them." She bent down to take Kirah in her arms. The little girl was rubbing her eyes with her fist. "Oh, I think you must just have gotten up," she said to Kirah.

Kirah extended her arms toward her mother, saying "Mama, Mama," in her soft voice.

"Oh, you don't want me to hold you do you, sweet girl?"

"She's just that way when she first wakes up, Gianna" said Cara, taking Kirah into her arms. "Give her a few minutes and she'll be open to being held. Let me get you some tea."

Soon, both women were sitting, drinking their tea with Cara holding one of the twins and Gianna holding the other, entertaining her with a small toy that rattled when shaken.

"Gianna, I've been meaning to ask you, how is Justin?"

Gianna shook her head in answering. "He tries too hard, Cara. Confidentially, I have visited him in his apartment more than once. Oh, I know, people would talk if they knew it, I mean since we're not yet married. But I think he needs help. The thing is, he wants to do everything himself. What's bad is that his balance is off. He has fallen twice that I know of and that scares me. He says he is strong, and I know he has been able to catch himself with his hands and arms, but I still worry that he might fall and hit his head."

Cara had been listening intently to Gianna's words. She had strong feelings of her own for Justin, going back to the time she had known him in her father's little kingdom. "Is he getting better, I hope, Gianna?"

"Well, it's slow, but I do think he is gradually getting better. Cara, you know I love him deeply and want to marry him. I pray that he will soon return to health."

"So, he will not be attending all the festivities in the hall?"

"No! No, he wants to go! Says he wouldn't think of missing it."

"Really, I'm glad he wants to attend. He will of course sit at the head table with the other royal knights and be able to enjoy the food and enjoy watching the music and dancing."

"Yes, that," replied Gianna, "but will he also be drinking, and then want to go out on the dance floor? That's what I'm afraid of, Cara. I mean I think it would be foolish of him to do that but if he gets it into his mind I can't physically hold him back."

Cara was thinking about what Gianna said. "I see what you mean. He needs to take things gradually, not even try to dance. I'll talk to Trent. Maybe he can talk to Justin. I think man to man maybe he will listen."

"Thank you, Cara. I hope so."

* * *

Cara was happy to see Trent when he returned that evening.

"Sorry I'm late again. Won't be too much longer and I can come back to you and the twins much earlier." They kissed.

Trent spoke to the children,"Ah, Brendan and Kirah, I'm so glad to see you." He picked both of them up, holding them in his arms. "It's not too early for a story is it, my queen?

"Of course not," she answered. "They're ready for bed and I know they would feel as if they missed out if you didn't tell them one."

Cara knew that even before he went to fight the Magyars Trent had begun a routine of telling the children stories before they went to bed. They loved it, and though she was sure they didn't yet understand all the words, Trent made it interesting to them by mimicking the sound of the animals in his tales, whether it was wolves, bears, cows, chickens or whatever. In fact, they had become rather good at imitating him. Tonight, as they sat in the children's bedroom, Cara held Kirah in her arms while Trent held Brendan.

Trent began his story which was about a cow and a chicken. Cara moved so she could sit next to Trent as he continued. She could tell he was pleased when the children tried to imitate him, and she smiled when he turned to her. She loved how he was so close to his children.

When Trent was finished, they both tucked the twins into their little beds, Of course they wanted more, but she told them that was enough for tonight and tomorrow their father would then tell them another story. She blew out the candle, gave them a last hug, and on leaving left their door partly open. Now, she could give full attention to her husband.

They sat close to each other on the divan, his arm around her as they told each other of their day. Cara loved their time like this together, speaking softly to each other by the light of a single candle. Then she told him about Justin, and her fear for him if he would dance after drinking. Trent thought about it, telling her that he thought Justin was making great strides, now using only one staff rather than two. Yet, he could understand her concern and said he might mention it to him in conversation. Cara sensed that he was not overly anxious about it. He kissed her with a smile, telling her, "You worry too much, Cara."

She shook her head in disagreement but he only smiled and pulled her close to kiss her again. Cara knew she had little power to resist when he was like that with her.

Note: Who knows what might happen when the party gets in full swing and everyone is having a good time?