Getting ready to be chosen

On returning to her family's royal quarters within the fortress, Cara found her father waiting for her. He was seated in a chair but quickly got up when she entered.

"Father," she said, on seeing him in the darkened room lit by only one candle. To Cara, it was at times like this, when the light was low and he was tired that he seemed older than he was. Broad shouldered and husky, his hair was definitely already turning grey, though he didn't appear to be losing any of it. At times like this he seemed gentle to her, and when he motioned her she sat down in the chair near his.

"What is it, Father?" she asked, keeping her voice low so as not to waken her brother or younger sister.

"Ah, Cara, tomorrow promises to be a big day for you."

"How well I know," she answered. "It has come about all of a sudden."

"I know. With your mother's long sickness and her passing. . ." He sighed, closed his eyes, and continued. "Yes, we were only thinking of her for a time. Now, we must think of you and the future." Cara bowed her head in acknowledgement, and looking up at him, waited for him to continue.

"As you know, we are not a strong, powerful kingdom, and we like everyone else must make alliances with other kingdoms that can come to our aid in the event of attack." Something in the way Cara looked at him seemed to make her father change what he was about to say. "I know, Cara, a young woman often doesn't think of these things foremost. She may instead be attracted to a handsome face or a princely bearing."

Cara could not just listen any longer. She had to say something. "What about love, father? Didn't you and mother love each other?"

"Love? What is it? Nothing you can depend on. A man and a woman share much together and in the way of all things, they can learn to care for each other. Maybe that is "love" as you say. If that is what you mean, Cara, I guess your mother and I came to know it in time."

Finished with that thought, at least in his own mind, her father continued. "Cara, there are important matters of which I don't think you are fully aware. In particular, the Magyars beyond the hills to the east of us. You do know of them, don't you?"

Cara nodded her head yes, wondering where this was going. The Magyars were old history. Yet out of respect for her father she listened with apparent attention.

"Before you were born, The Magyars were a constant threat to East Francia and other kingdoms. They defeated a number of our allies, killing and selling men women and children into slavery. Finally, we formed an alliance with all the great duchies and united together in battle. We defeated them, driving their remaining army far back into their own territory. They were conquered, and after their disastrous defeat they licked their wounds and for many years have left us alone. 

We learned from past experience, that they are fierce adversaries who attack from horseback slinging their deadly arrows with impunity, always ready to retreat and strike again. Since their defeat, they have for many years been subdued, but now we know they are again marshaling their forces. It is highly probable that before long we will have to fight them again."

Cara looked at her father. She saw the seriousness of his demeanor as he spoke of the Magyars. Of course she knew of them, but only in a distant way of an enemy that frightened her people before she was born. She had even heard something of the horrors they inflicted on those they captured and of their selling captives to Byzantium. But that too was old history for her. That the Magyars might be ready to attack again brought a fear to her more than she wanted to show her father. "I see," she said. "You're telling me this now has something to do with my coming out, doesn't it father?"