"He wants you!"

Of course, she knew that he was being no different than every other father of his time. Cara also knew and that many lords had given their daughters away as children for a future marriage.

Ah, she wondered. Have any offers for her hand already been made for her father to consider? And did she herself have any say about the matter that would change her life forever? One that would not only give her to a man forever, but that would also take her away from her family and everyone she knew with the possible exception of her own handmaid. The thought occurred to her that peasants, despite their rough lives, could marry for love, or as she knew they often did, for sex, but then could stay with family and friends for the rest of their days. Ah, the advantage of the simple life!

She wondered, as she peered once more into the hall, thinking of breakfast. Why did he want to see her? She went back to her apartment. Her father was up as was her sister Evie. "Evie," she said, "Let's eat."

"Yes, I'm hungry." Cara looked toward her father. He was not yet fully dressed, at least not as much as he liked when going anywhere. He looked back at her, cleared his throat, and then turned away. Cara had the distinct impression that something was on his mind. Something about her.

"I'm glad that terrible night is over," said Evie. While you were gone, a messenger came around who said we could resume our normal activities. That is, within the confines of the manor walls."

"Who?" asked Cara.

"Oh, I don't know. Didn't see him, he talked to father."

As they walked the short distance down the corridor toward the great hall, Gina joined them. "What a scare last night!"

The three girls ate breakfast together, and as more people came into the hall the babble of voices increased. Everyone was talking about what had happened, and how the prince had brought a large force to protect them from the Magyars. Speculation was rampant on what would happen next.

Cara went back, knowing it was time for her training. Now that she was being groomed for her role as the wife of a lord, her education in the matters necessary to her estate were becoming more intensive.

"Ah, there you are," said Isolde. "Was thinking I would have to send a messenger to find you."

"Sorry I'm late, milady. It's just that with all that's been happening. . ."

"Oh, I know, and I'm really not surprised. It's just that we have so little time left before you will be taken away. You need to be ready to carry on your duties."

Cara looked at her teacher. Lady Isolde was a kindly woman, who was seldom seen in anything but a regal flowing gown. Her silvery hair was softly done in a stylish chignon with silky strands coming down the sides of her face. Cara respected her, and knew that she had experience in overseeing her kingdom when her husband was at war. Since his death, the new duke and duchess had taken over her responsibility

Lady Isolde was teaching her how to take care of the affairs of a kingdom should her husband be away. Cara had long since gained some mastery of the old Latin in which everything was still written. It was so different than the spoken language. She could read St. Jerome's bible, Cicero, Ovid, and even some of Seneca, though he was difficult. She most enjoyed reading the limited number of romantic tales she had been able to get her hands on.

What really gave Cara trouble was numbering. Oh, she understood hectares, furlongs, rods and such as they applied to plots of land and distance. She was well aware of the peasants working some of their own plots as well as the larger fields of the manor. It's just that she had trouble manipulating the numbers and especially doing the geometry.