It wasn't long before I found myself situated against a log, staring out to the giant stone walls that trapped us in this place. 

"Hell of a first day, greenie." A familiar voice sounded behind me and then a body slumped down beside mine. He handed me some sort of vile concoction and his words just seemed like white noise, my mind atrophied from the day. 

"What the hell is that?!" I exclaimed, looking to the drink with a disgust I was sure I'd ever felt before. 

"I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe." Newt stifled a laugh. "It's a trade secret..." His voice trailed off as he turned to look at the fighting ring beside the fire.

I followed his gaze and sure enough, there was Y/N, in the ring fighting the tall, burly builder. Newt's face was plastered with both jealousy and admiration as he gazed at her from afar, as if it was only safe to do so that way. 

"Yeah, well he's still an asshole." I grumbled, watching as Gally threw Y/N to the ground, making her gasp for air. Newt's knuckles went white as he gripped the jar in his hand. I wondered why he hadn't gone running over there yet, but guessed he was too afraid to. Good thing he didn't, because just as quickly as she had been thrown in the dirt, the girl jumped up and threw herself at Gally, sending him stumbling backwards.

"She can sure hold her own." I scoffed. The whoops and hollers of the boys around the ring grew louder and louder, cheering on the girl. Now, it was if Newt wasn't even paying attention, completely entranced by Y/N and I knew there was only one way to drag him back to earth. 

"Alby said you two are really close." I said and the mention caught Newt's attention immediately. 

"I guess." He shrugged and tore his eyes from the fighting ring and back to the stone walls. 

"You guess?" I raised an eyebrow and caught his gaze for a few seconds before he darted his eyes away shamefully.

"Why don't you just tell her? Don't even try to deny how you feel about her. I can see it." I furrowed my brows and watched as Newt's face flushed red. 

"That's a lot easier said than done." His face went stolid and stared out into the dark. Here I was, not even able to remember my name, and I was trying to convince someone to admit their feelings. 

"What do you mean?" My questions had seemingly shifted from being all about where I was and who put us here to solely Y/N and Newt. The blonde propped himself up slightly and looked at me with a set of eyes I knew hid an intolerable amount of pain behind them. 

"You think that in a place like this, she hasn't heard the same thing from just about every other boy? She wouldn't believe me. Wouldn't believe I was being genuine, unlike the rest of the shanks around here who say they care just for fun." His question really did make me think. Being the only girl amidst forty or so boys, some had to have already admitted the same thing Newt wanted to.

"And listen, the truth is..." Newt muttered. "In a place like this, things like that don't last." Something about the way Newt said it was like a warning that made me refuse to ask any more questions about the girl. He went on to talk about the maze and I finally got the answers I'd been waiting for about the runners. After a while and being brought to the point where I felt as if my mind might just implode, Newt patted my back. 

"Alright, that's enough questions for one night. C'mon, listen, you're supposed to be the guest of honour!" He exclaimed, trying to drag me to my feet. I tried to rebuke but he tugged at my arm even harder. 

"No, no. C'mon, let me show you around." He insisted and I reluctantly followed him towards the crowd.

As Newt showed me around, he explained the various different groups of people, the builders, slicers and medjacks.