Chapter 9: Stay

It seriously wasn't that fair.

No one should look that good.

I had to practically force myself to look anywhere but the image in front of me.

Derek and I were working out- or I was at least trying to.

Derek had perfect form and didn't even seem to struggle as he did pull ups.

I did a sit ups and tried focusing on counting.

Derek dropped next to me and did a few push ups.

"Alright tough guy, challenge on," I teased, gently poking his shoulder.

He looked at me with a mischievous grin and we started his normal workout all over again, seeing who could get it done the fastest with no breaks.

I finished just one push-up after him and I took a deep breath, wiping the sweat off my brow.

"Ok.. I totally let you win," I breathed, leaning on the wall.

"Oh really?" He asked, shifting closer, resting his hand on the wall behind me.

I didn't know if it was the workout or the closeness of his presence that was making my heart pound.

"Yes," I whispered.

He stared at me with a small smile hidden on his lips.

Just as we stood there we heard a noise.

Both our heads shot to the door and Derek grabbed my hand and we shuffled into a room.

I placed a hand over my mouth, careful to control my breathing.

Derek's hand was on my shoulder, pushing me into the wall, him positioned in front of me.

He turned, his hand dropping and I stared at his tattoo, trying to remain calm.

"Get out Elizabeth," he said quietly.

"No one home?" A male voice asked.

"Oh, he's here," a woman's voice said.  "He's just not feeling particularly hospitable."

"Maybe he's out burying a bone in the backyard."

"Really? A dog joke? We're going there, and that's the best you got? If you wanna provoke him, say something Iike, "Too bad your sister 'bit it' before she had her first litter." Too bad she howled Iike a baby when we cut her in half!"

Derek growled and I tried to grab his arm to keep him from leaving but he left, attacking.

I ran as Derek caused a distraction and I stayed in the woods listening.

"Wow," the woman said as Derek was just panting. "This one grew up in all the right places. I don't know whether to kill it or lick it."

I gripped a tree and saw my claws were out.

I looked at them and then back at the house.

I breathed hard, trying to remain calm.

I focused, listening.

I heard a heartbeat. I listened to it's steady rhythm.

I don't know how long I had been standing or listening when Derek was running towards me, looking back.

I quickly stopped him, my hands on his shoulders.

"Derek!" I said and he grabbed my arms.

"It's not safe."

"We can go to my apartment, they don't know about me."

Derek looked back one last time.

We ran till we reach my apartment and I unlocked the doors.