Chapter 28: Making Up

Eunjin’s POV

“You’re crazy,” I said before leaving. Taemin grabbed my arm which prevented me from going anywhere so I was forced to turn and face him again. "I said let's talk," he said.

“We have nothing to talk about.” I insisted. The crowd makes it impossible for me to focus but Taemin doesn’t seem to care.

“When are you gonna stop avoiding me?”

“Forever. Live your own life and I'll live mine. Let’s end it at that.”

“Wae? Do you hate me because I couldn’t protect you then? Is that it?”

“Lee Taemin-shi! Jebal... let’s not talk about it here.” I begged him.

“Right. Let's talk somewhere else.” Then he grabbed my arm and started dragging me outside. We went inside an empty room and he locked the door. I can still hear people waiting outside as if they wanted to hear the rest of our conversation.

“Let’s talk here,” Taemin said after he let go of my arm.

“Taemin, please... you already agreed that we break up. It’s over.”

“That was before you got your memories back.”

“What difference does it make?” I demanded.

“Everything! I wanted to protect you then. Because I knew it will be painful for you to know the truth. But now there is no reason for me to stay away from you. Let’s start over.” The idea of starting over is just too good to be true.

“I don’t deserve you,” I said almost like a whisper. My eyes started tearing up. Taemin is really making it hard for me.

“What are you saying?” he asked.

"You almost died, Taemin. God, I don’t even know what I would have done if you really died back then. I don’t know if I’ll be able to forgive myself." I tried to contain the tears that were threatening to fall from my eyes any minute. I can’t let him see me cry now. “Please Taemin, let’s end it now.”

“Look at me, Eunjin.” He said but I didn’t obey. I was having a hard time meeting his eyes because I knew that once I look at him I’m going to change my mind without a doubt.

“I said look at me.” He insisted. He cupped my face with his hands and forced me to look up at him. “Eunjin-ah, if I lose you again, I’m going to be miserable for the rest of my life and you’ll spend your whole life feeling guilty for causing me misery.”

Taemin with his failed attempt to lighten the mood gave me a pleading look then said, “Eunjin-ah, I know that it’s painful for you to know the truth and although I’m not sure how I can make you feel better, I still wanted to try. Please…”

“Wae? Why do you still want to be with me when I’m the reason you were hurting all this time?”

“Aigoo… Can’t you tell?” He gave me a pinch on the cheeks and while shaking my head with a ‘no’, a weak smile formed on my lips. “It’s because I love you. Babo.”

Saranghae are the exact words I’ve been dying to hear from Taemin. But hearing those words from someone whom I have to let go eventually hurts more than I expected. I can’t hold back my tears anymore. Taemin pulled me into a tight hug and I buried my face on his chest.

“I’m sorry Eunjin-ah…” I didn’t know why he was apologizing when I was the one at fault. He almost died because of me. "I’m sorry. I wasn’t strong enough to protect you then.” I looked up to him confused from what he just told me. When I met his eyes I saw for the first time how those two pools of brown eyes began to be filled with tears. Taemin is crying right before me.