Chapter 23: The Past

Eunjin’s POV

I’m not sure when it all started but Taemin had always been with me ever since I can remember.

“Eunjin-ah! Palli” Taemin was waiting for me to come out of the house so we can go to school together. We go to the same school and we’re neighbors so we see a lot of each other every day.

“Arasseo.”

“Why do you always wake up so late?” he complained. “We’re going to be late again.”

I gave him a bright smile and we walk towards the school together. We arrive late most of the time and it’s usually because of me. Taemin keeps complaining about it but he sticks with me anyway.

------------------

During grade school, I once hid in a cabinet after the teacher scolded me for something I didn’t do. The teacher kept looking for me but Taemin was the one who found me. He always seemed to know where to find me that if we play hide and seek I’ll always be the one losing.

When he opened the door he said, “I knew you’d be here.” He pulled me up then wiped the tears that were streaming down my face.

“Why didn’t you just go home?” I asked him

“Babo. How can I go home without you?” he said. The tears suddenly stopped and a smile formed on my lips.

-------------------------

When we were old enough to start liking people my feelings for Taemin grew from friendship, to infatuation, to love. He became really popular in school and almost every girl in school likes him. I got so jealous I once told him in front of his friends, “Taemin, don’t ever like a girl other than me. If you do I will no longer be your friend.”

I left afterwards flustered and embarrassed. I heard the guys teasing Taemin saying, “Hey, your girlfriend is jealous” and “Did you hear that? Be careful if you’re planning to cheat. You’re girlfriend is serious about you.”

I didn’t hear his reply because I already fled from the scene.

----------------

Taemin had always been really special to me. When he’s not around everything seems to go wrong. I realized I’ve become really dependent on him.

Have you ever had a day in your school life when nothing ever goes right? Like losing your notebook with your homework that you spent the entire night working, then got injured in PE class after you bumped with your teammate in volleyball while trying to catch the ball, your teammate was perfectly fine while you on the other hand broke an arm, then you had to stay at the clinic alone the rest of the day while everyone else is having fun.  That happened to me and seriously it wasn’t fun. Taemin had to stay at home because he caught a cold so there’s no one to comfort me.

I went home with a splint in my arm and while walking home, I suddenly tripped. Stupid stone why does it have to be in my way? My knee started bleeding and I felt my eyes tearing up.

“You can never live a day without me can you?” I looked up to see Taemin and my mood soared. He was panting hard after running all the way to see me. He coughed and I realized he’s not feeling any better and that he needed rest.

 “Don’t get sick again, ok?” I told him and he nodded before giving me a bright smile. I had a really bad day but Taemin was there so it was ok.

He lifted me up and carried me on his back despite my complaints. The next day his cold got worse and I ended up skipping school. I told my mom my arm still hurts although it’s already perfectly fine. Then I went to Taemin’s house and stayed with him all day.

-----------------

Taemin once told me that he wanted to be famous someday. He had always been a great dancer. He also knows how to play the piano and he sings really well. We always spend time together at the music room after class. Then he would play me a song. Those were the happiest times of my life.

“Taemin-ah… What would you like to do when you grow up.?” I asked.

Without second thoughts he replied, “Marry you.”

“Yah! I’m serious.”

“Me too.”

I blushed and I realized I must look like a tomato right now with my crimson-colored face. “I mean, work. What kind of work do you wanna do in the future?” I tried to ask once more.

“I want to be a singer.”

“Chincha?” I asked getting excited from the thought of Taemin being famous. I knew then that with his talents he’s going to be a great singer someday.

“How about you?” he asked me back.

“I want to be your fan.”

“It’s a promise then. I’m going to be famous and you’re going to be the president of my fanclub. Deal?”

I laughed really hard. “Ok. Deal.”

The years I spent with Taemin were the best years of my life. However all the good times ended in one single night. It all started when I asked Taemin to go stargazing with me at the top of the old lighthouse a few distance away from our school.

 “Taemin, let’s go watch the stars.” I told him.

“But eunjin-ah, it’s already dark,” he complained.

“Babo. Of course it has to be dark. How are we going to see the stars if it isn’t? Common! We won’t take long.” Taemin was really against the idea but I have an amazing power of persuasion so he decided to come eventually.

We went to the old lighthouse and it was really dark but I had this small flashlight key chain attached in my bag and we used it to light the way up the roof. When we reached the rooftop, I gasped, “Woah… the stars are so pretty” I’ve always liked the view of the night sky. With its vastness that seems to have no end, the stars which doesn’t seem to stop from shining, and the moon with all its different phases. I love watching them every night. The view is so breathtaking I almost wanted to tear up.

“It’s so pretty isn’t it?” I asked Taemin without taking my eyes off the magnificent view of the night sky.

“Hmmm. Neomu yeppeo.” He agreed.

I finally took my eyes off the sky and stared at him only to realize that he’s not looking at the stars. He’s staring at me with those two pools of brown eyes that kept mesmerizing me.

“Yah! Stop staring at me. Look at the stars.” I told him.

“But you’re prettier”

I blushed. "Babo" I took my eyes off him hoping the darkness was enough to hide my blushing face.

“Eunjin-ah…” he said after a while.

“Hmmmmm?” I asked.

“Do you remember the time when we were young and I asked you if I can kiss you? You said we shouldn’t and you promised you’ll let me kiss you when we grow up. Do you remember?”

I blushed from the memory. I avoided his eyes because it was embarrassing but he cupped my face with the palm of his hands and forced me to look at him before he asked, “Will you let me kiss you now?”

Without waiting for a response he lowered his head into mine and kissed me passionately. For the first time in my life I felt really special and loved. It’s as if he was telling me he loves me without speaking a single word. I can feel his feelings overflowing.

“I like you…” My heart skipped a beat. It was dark so I couldn’t see his face clearly. “I like you more than just a friend,” he finished. The boy that I liked ever since I was little has turned into a man who just confessed his feelings for me.

By this time I wanted to cry from happiness and my heart couldn’t seem to calm down. “I like you too.” I said with all honesty. I liked him ever since he came to my life without warning. He had been my best friend and I’ve been in love with him since.

However the happiness didn’t last very long. Everything was suddenly replaced with fear and the perfect night that was supposed to be filled with joy suddenly ended in a tragedy.