Chapter 18: Girl from His Past

Taemin’s POV

Minho hyung is still mad at me. It all started when Soojin asked me for Minho hyung’s number in exchange for keeping an eye on Eunjin. Without hesitation I gave her his number.  So now Minho’s phone is being flooded with messages and he’s mad at me because he knew it was my fault. I thought it wasn’t that bad because Soojin is a nice girl. I wish Minho hyung will give her a chance.

After our short vacation, our schedules became hectic again. For days all we did is work so I never got the chance to meet Eunjin after the trip. I call her everyday but it isn’t enough. I wish I could visit her soon.

-------

Eunjin’s POV

My mom told me something which doesn’t make sense. She said Taemin was the reason I almost died 8 years ago. When I asked her how, she didn’t tell me anything more. I wanted to see Taemin and ask him what really happened but he’s always busy so I never get the chance to meet him. I’m beginning to miss him a lot. Whenever he calls, he sounded as if he’s missing me too. I never brought up the topic about 8 years ago because it doesn’t seem to be something we should talk about over the phone. Besides I’m not even sure if Taemin really has something to do with it. Maybe mom was just mistaken. Maybe she’s referring to some other Lee Taemin. That could be more like it.

Today I decided to surprise Taemin. I asked Soojin if she knows where the SHINee members are. She always knows those kinds of stuff because she’s a kpop fan after all. She said they are shooting a variety show in SBS. And so I went to SBS after class. There are a lot of fans in the lobby probably waiting to meet their celebrity idols. I feel stupid for coming here when I didn’t even know how to find them. I suddenly had the urge to call Taemin but it will ruin my surprise so I decided against it. But now I don’t have any idea how I’m going to meet them.

While I was planning for my next course of action I heard some of the fans talking among themselves. “Have you heard? Taemin is going to have a solo album soon,” one of the fans said.

“Chincha? Deabak!”

“Neh. I wish Jinki oppa will also have a solo album.”

I didn’t even know that kind of stuff about my boyfriend. I sighed. The fans knew him better than I do and it’s distressing. The conversations are pretty interesting so I decided to stay a bit longer.

After awhile I saw a guy wearing a hoddie and glasses walking towards me. The closer he gets the more convinced I was that it was Minho.

“Nuna..” It took a while before I realized he was referring to me.

 “Isn’t that Choi Minho?” I heard one of the fans said to her friend.

“You’re the make-up artist nuna aren’t you? We’ve been waiting for you. Palli” then without waiting for a response he started dragging me to god-knows-where. “Just play along,” he whispered in my ear.

“Nuna? Is that the best you can do?” he just chuckled and didn’t say anything.

“How did you know I was here?” I asked him. “Wait, does Taemin know?”

“No. Don’t worry.” He gave me a smile. “Soojin was the one who told me you’d be here. She said you’re planning to surprise Taemin so I decided to help you out.”

“Soojin?” I thought I’m the one who’s planning a surprise but now it’s turning out as if I’m the one being surprised. He led me to their dressing room and asked me to go in first. I opened the door and there I saw Taemin and the rest of the SHINee members looking so cool dressed in their unique style of clothes and with their make-up done.

“Eunjin?” Taemin looked really surprised. He broke into a wide grin and gave me a tight hug.

“C-can’t breathe.” I said then with a bit of hesitation he let me go. The stylist eunnie handed Taemin a blazer to complete his outfit. She frowned when she noticed the bracelet Taemin was wearing.

“Taemin, take that off. It doesn’t go with your clothes,” she said.

“But it’s my lucky charm,” Taemin argued.

“Yah! You’re not even joining a lottery. Why do you need a lucky charm for?” The stylist eunnie retorted back.

“Leave him nuna.” Key said interrupting the conversation. “He will never take it off no matter what. You’re new so you probably didn’t know it yet. The other stylists before you never managed to make Taemin take it off so I suggest don’t even try. You’ll just waste your time.”

Now come to think of it, Taemin really wear that bracelet all the time. It’s made of tan leather strap and a silver anchor style hook. I realized it suits him well. I also noticed how fond he is of that bracelet but I decided not to pay too much attention. I thought he just likes it so he always wears it. But now I realized there could be a deeper meaning into it. My curiosity got the better of me so I asked Taemin, “Why do you keep wearing it?"

Key was the one who answered the question. “It’s from his first love or something.”

I felt a sudden sharp pain in my chest. I wondered if it was jealousy. The stage director came in and told them to get ready because they will be filming in a short while. Taemin told me to stay and that they won’t take long. I gave him a nod before they left.

I feel really stupid for being jealous over some unknown girl from his past. I know it was all in the past but somehow, for some reason, I can’t help feeling upset because I know deep in my heart that Taemin still feels something for her. The fact that he’s always wearing that bracelet tells everything.