Chapter 10: Assurance

“Let's break up,” she said.

He stared at her for quite a long time trying to make sense to what she just told him. She looked serious but why does it feel like she doesn’t mean it? It’s as if what she’s feeling and the words coming out of her mouth are entirely two different things. No, he won’t have it her way. If he had to desperately beg her to change her mind, he would.

“Why?” he asked.

"Because I think I’m already falling for you," she said. He didn’t understand the whole point. Why would she break up with him when she's starting to like him? Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?

"I don’t get it," he said.

"I don't want to get hurt. So let's stop this before it’s too late." Now wait a minute. Who said anything about hurting each other? If there's anyone hurting right now, it’s him.

"No.” Call him selfish but he’s not letting her go. He cupped her face with the palm of his hands and forced her to look at him. "Eunjin-ah, I’m not going to hurt you. I promise. Just please... give me a chance."

It took a while before she finally nodded. He let out a sigh of relief. He wanted to tell her he loves her to convince her more but he didn’t think it was the right time. Given the circumstances she might never believe a word of it. Timing is important. He can’t ruin it.

----------------------

 “Eunjin-ah, I’m not going to hurt you. I promise. Just please... give me a chance." Although he said something like that, Eunjin was not completely sure if she should believe it or not. It’s just too good to be true.

She was still lost in thought when Soojin came knocking on the door. “Unnie, can I come in?”

“Sure,” she called out.

She and Soojin were not really that close. They are siblings but only because they have the same father. Eunjin’s father cheated on her mother a long time ago and Soojin was the fruit of that. They only learned about it when Soojin’s mother came to their house one day and told her mom the truth. She asked her father to take care of Soojin who was only 10 years old at that time. She said she met a man who doesn’t like children especially not his own and she really loves the man so she chose him over Soojin. Eunjin feels really bad for Soojin having a mother like that. Her dad agreed because she was his daughter and it was his responsibility to take care of her. Her mom also agreed because she doesn’t have a choice. She agreed because she had always wanted a sister.

Their father rarely comes home due to work which is probably best because having him in the house only starts a fight with her mom. She treated Soojin like a real sister and she always avoid mentioning anything about her mom. Eunjin thinks she’s coping quite well.

Soojin came in after she gave her permission then she sat on her bed while she was busy checking her things making sure she didn’t forget anything for her classes tomorrow. She still had a few papers to write and she was still contemplating on how tough a student life is when suddenly Soojin asked her annoying questions.

“Unnie, how did you meet Taemin oppa?”

“None of your business,” she said without sparing Soojin a glance. It’s not that she hates how Soojin tries to stick her nose in places where she shouldn’t. It’s just that she didn’t know how to explain it. It was a complicated relationship after all.

Soojin however was more curious than Eunjin thought she was. Instead of being hurt by her sister’s words, she stood up and started checking her older sister’s things.

“Unnie, is this you diary?” she asked. Eunjin didn’t know how her troublesome sister managed it but somehow she was already holding her diary in her hands and Eunjin was mentally cursing herself for carelessly leaving it on top of her desk.

“Yah! Leave that alone,” she warned.

“ Tell me first about Taemin oppa,” she said with an evil smirk.

Eunjin realized that having a troublesome sister isn’t that fun. “Fine. What do you wanna know?” she asked.

“Where did you two meet?”

“On the street.”

“And?” Soojin couldn’t seem to believe a word of what she was hearing from her. “Just like that?”

“Yeah, just like that.”

“Love at first sight? Deabak!” she exclaimed.

“Now give me back my diary.” Eunjin insisted reminding her about the diary which was still in her hands of which Soojin obediently returned back to her.

“Why do you keep a diary anyway?”

“Well… in case… you know… I forget again… This might help me remember.”

Eunjin knew that Soojin knows about her condition. After all, the fact that she has no memories of her life before she turned 12 years old is a known fact in the family.