Chapter 10: Tests

The initial fuzzy stomach reaction of Cole ended quickly. If he was here, it must've been something involved with me. I'm not sure if he still has it in him to volunteer with the kids anymore. So if it was involved with me, he would've had to go through Emily.

I got up and ran up and down the hallway until I almost ran straight into her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I screamed, standing right in front of her so she wouldn't be able to get on with her business.

"I don't know what you mean, Sam." Emily replied, sounding sincere. But I wasn't buying.

"All you ever talk about now is staying away from Cole! But now that he comes here you don't even tell me! Don't you think I would've wanted to talk to him?" I screamed. "Don't you think that I would've wanted to say good-bye, at least." I said in a quieter voice, my head just now realizing that things between Cole and I are probably over.

"Honey, I never saw Cole. I saw James. What makes you think Cole was here?" 

"I saw him walk out of the front doors of the hospital." I replied.

"Maybe it was just his father. The two look exactly the same from a distance, I'm sure." 

"Trust me, it wasn't his father. It was him." 

"Well, I didn't see him. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but he probably wasn't even here. You probably saw James. He was just in to get his tissue type tested." Emily said. 

"...What?" I asked.

"He didn't tell you? He was testing to see if he was a match for you. If he's a match, we'll be able to replace unhealthy cells with healthy ones. Then you can go into remission, finally."

I was completely shocked. I had no idea that he would even consider doing that.

"Can't that be dangerous?" I asked, thinking that I may have heard a story or two at one point.

"It hurts. A lot. Not so much at first, but you definitely feel it later. Some people feel sick for a few days, due to the Anesthesia. Sometimes bones are damaged forever, but very rarely."

I can't believe that James would do that for me. We haven't known each other for long. He doesn't know me like a friend. There are risks. Risks that I wouldn't sacrifice for someone that I barely even knew.

Then I remembered his wife and how she didn't have a chance to fight. She was doomed to die as soon as she got the cancer. James never had the chance to save her, because she was too beyond saving.

"That doesn't explain why Cole was here. James was just telling me about how Cole went missing after my visit to his house. That was five days ago.  James had no idea that Cole was here." I said. 

"I don't know, Sam. I don't think it was Cole you saw. He was never here. I probably would've seen him." Emily replied.

"Emily, you're not listening to me."

"You're not listening to me. You died two days ago. You just learned that your boyfriend has been missing for five days. You're in a bad emotional state. I think you know what you saw, but what you saw... wasn't actually there."  

"So now I'm insane? Emily, ever since you found Cole high in my room I'm starting to hate you more and more." 

With that, I stalked off. When I got to the room, I came up with a smart idea. All visitors have to sign there name and where they're going. If Cole really was here, the papers will prove it. The visitors center is going to be closed in one hour. No one's going to be at the front desk to guard those papers. That will my be my opportunity to swoop in and find out what's really going on.