Chapter 13 ~ Sleepless and Loveless *EDITED*

The Ransom

Chapter 13~ Sleepless and Loveless

I sighed and rolled over for what felt like the hundredth time in the last minute. I couldn't get Zayn out of my mind. He was supposed to go for Sage, not me. I have Harry.

I sighed again and got up, tired of being tired. I walked out of the room and over to the couch. Zayn sat there, wide awake while Sage slept on the other couch.

"You still awake?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, I can't sleep, not after earlier...did you really say that, do you like me?" he asked and I sighed.

"Yeah, but I shouldn't, I'm having Harry's kid..." I mumbled.

He looked at me, wide eyed. "What?" he asked frantically.

I nodded, "You didn't know?" I asked and he shook his head no.

"Oh. Well, now you know," I mumbled.

He let out a humorless laugh and sighed. Sage slept on peacefully, not looking worried.

"So...Why are you awake at this time?" I asked him.

"I could ask you the same thing," he said. I snorted. "I couldn't sleep."

"Same here. But there are reasons...." I trailed off. He nodded his head in understanding.

"I really do feel different around you.. and I shouldn't, but I do... I'm sorry.." I mumbled in a whisper.

"It's fine, it really is. How does Harry feel about it?" He just had to bring Harry into this situation.

I sighed once more. "I think he's kind of upset, but I don't know.. you're just lucky you caught me tired so I can say this. I really like you. I felt something I didn't feel around Harry, I don't know... It's just different and I like it.. I really like it..." I mumbled.

Glancing at him, I could barely make out the look in his eyes. He stared back at me.

"I'm supposed to be with Sage...." he muttered.

"Yeah...I know...." I said. I hung my head, because I was tired, and sick of all this craziness. 

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled and glanced up at him. I knew it would happen. I couldn't keep my eyes away from his, just as expected.

"So...." he mumbled.The awkward tension was bad enough, but telling him I like him was worse.

"So..." I copied him. He grinned.

"Don't you think it's time to go to sleep?" he asked.

I wanted to say I want to go to sleep, not with Harry, but with you. I bit my lip and sighed.

"Yeah...I guess..." I slowly got up from the couch.

He watched me for a few seconds, "What..?" he mumbled. I shrugged.

"You don't care anyways... I mean, if you did, you would have said something, right?" I asked, and glanced back at him.

He looked confused, then realization came onto his face. "But... you're with Harry, and I'm supposed to be with Sage..." he mumbled. I waited for a few seconds, about to yell that I liked him and if I liked Harry, then I wouldn't have liked Zayn.

Nathan cut me off from doing so, "Nothing's set in stone, pick who you'd like. I honestly couldn't care less, as long as she's away from Harry... I'm good!" Nathan stated happily before the line kicked off.

We just stared at each other.

"Look, Demi, I...I like you too..." he trailed off.

I wanted to slap him so bad, it wasn't even funny. "Nathan doesn't want me by Harry! Sage and him can be together..."

He looked at me like I was crazy, "You're pregnant with Harry's child!"

I said nothing, just turned away from him. Tears pricked my eyes.

"I'm going to sleep," I said and walked out of the room back to where Harry was sleeping.

"Demi..." I heard Zayn say. "Demi!" he called after me before jumping up and chasing after me.

I ran to the room and slammed the door, "Dem! Let me in!" he urged. He had called me 'Dem', not one person had called me Dem after my parents died. I didn't want to be called Dem, I wanted to be called Demi because they detested it! They like Demithen and Dem better! That broke me.

"Dem..." he whispered and I grabbed the door handle ripping it open, sobbing when I saw him standing there.

"Demi.." he mumbled and held his arms open; I pouted slightly making me cry more. I liked it better when he called me Dem, it sounded right! I liked it, unlike that time Harry called me Dem on accident one time. I didn't like it as much when he said it. Zayn was a different story.

"Dem.." he mumbled again, still holding his arms open slightly for me to come into them. I didn't know if I should, but I needed the comfort, to know he still liked me. I needed to know that at least. Everything was so confusing.

I glanced at Harry and made a small whimpering noise. I was going to hurt him, wasn't I...? Harry sat up, his hair a mess and his words sounded groggy. I must have woken him.

"Who's here?" he asked.

"It's...Nothing...No one, no one at all." I told him, "Just go back to sleep...." I trailed off.

"No..." he rubbed his eyes to focus them. "Zayn? Is that you?"

Zayn nodded hesitantly. "Yeah..."

"Why are you here?"

"Well, Demi came out, and I was still awake so...."

Harry nodded. "Demi, why were you awake?"

"I couldn't sleep," I responded quickly.

"What's going on..?" Sage mumbled half asleep from behind Zayn and I. I glanced at her and she looked between Zayn and I before smiling brightly.

"You're cute together..." she mumbled and glanced at Harry.

"They're not together!" he snapped and I sighed before un-burying myself from Zayn and nodded at Harry, in a way that tells him he was right. For now. I hope...