XXII | Don't Talk Nonsense

Start from the beginning

Isabelle clenched her hand, fingers stabbing hard into her palm, and forced a smile.

Sitting opposite her, Alexander lifted his eyelids to look at Isabelle after Sophia's words. To him, she looked calm as usual, as though her sister inviting him to dinner had nothing to do with her at all.

There was a flash of bleakness under Alexander's eyes. After a few seconds, his tone was mild. "If I remember correctly, James and I used to fish over there by the mountain. We went hiking with our friends and later bumped into the restaurant, so James suggested we eat here."

He knew that Isabelle didn't care about the hint of flirting in Sophia's words. Even if he pretended as if nothing had happened between him and Sophia, to her, his clarification meant nothing, but he still wanted her not to misunderstand him.

Sophia couldn't believe that the usually quiet Alexander would expose her pleasant words. With a slightly awkward expression, she pretended as though she was fine and changed the subject. "Don't you both have no filming this afternoon? It's still early. How about we go watch a movie? There's a new big Hollywood produced movie that just came out."

To Isabelle, she'd suffered enough through the dinner. Upon hearing her sister's suggestion, she didn't even need to think about it. She shook her head and said, "Nah, I'm busy this afternoon. You two can go watch the movie. I won't be joining in on the fun."

Sophia didn't insist any further but turned to Alexander with a bright smile. "How about Mr. Smith? Do you have time?"

Alexander wanted to refuse first, but he wasn't given a chance to before hearing Isabelle's words.

Won't be joining in on the fun... Ha...

Alexander's eyes revealed a hint of mockery as his expression became instantly cold. He opened his mouth to get to the point. "Not interested." He got up, kicked his chair away, and called for the waiter. "Cheque please!"

Then, with a cold look, he picked up his jacket from the side and rushed out of the private room.

Isabelle and Sophia's eyes met. The both of them didn't know just how they had managed to suddenly piss off Alexander.

Coming out of the elevator on the first floor, Isabelle finally couldn't hold it in any longer. She asked Sophia in a low voice, "Sis, the guy you said might become your boyfriend is Alexander?"

Sophia lightly nodded and said in a low voice, "Actually, it's a little complicated. At first, I thought there was no heat between Alexander and I - like we'd be friends forever. But for the past few years, we would bump into each other at parties and we'd chat a little. Izzy, you know how it is. Alexander is proud and arrogant. He told me once that no woman has caught his eye. I didn't think too much about it, but for a few years now, I feel like he could've been interested me all this time..."

~*~

When Alexander paid the bill, he saw Isabelle and Sophia walk out of the elevator. As he took his card back, he rushed over to catch up to them. Just as he was ready to call out to them, he heard Isabelle's voice. He held his tongue and listened to Sophia's long explanation.

His expression grew dark in a split second, and he stopped in his tracks.

~*~

Sophia and Isabelle walked out of the restaurant. Having not noticed Alexander, Sophia was just about to pull out her phone and call to find out where he was, but he left on his own without even saying goodbye to them when he passed by. He went straight for his own car, entered, stepped on the accelerator, and drove off.

~*~

Sophia dropped off Isabelle at the hotel. After seeing her go in, she was ready to start up the car and leave when suddenly the passenger seat door opened.