Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Picture of Grace on the side --->

Present

(Elsie’s P.O.V)

I looked down at the necklace that still hung from my neck. Not one word of anybody living after the attack eleven years ago. I shouldn’t even be thinking about it now. It will just bring tears to my eyes and I wasn’t going to cry in front of anybody again. I looked around at the suburban town I was in. It was different from living in the city being that the sounds were quieter here than there and the smell of the woods calmed me down. I looked at the kids playing at the playground and hear the mothers go on about the great stuff their kid did today. I felt a lump forming in my throat and had to look away.

“Elsie, are you ok?” I growled and looked up at April. She was the only one to know my real name. Even though my father told me to hide my identity, it was hard with April. She showered me with her kindness and I felt bad for lying to her. I never told her what led me to being by myself close to an alleyway, and she never asked, but I knew she wanted to know. I couldn’t and would never tell her, so I said the next best thing and told her my name.

“Elsie, I’m not going to call you by that fake name so stop trying to get me to” It was worth a shot though. Looking down at my hands, my nerves were getting the best of me. Every other family I was with was in the city not too far from April, but this seemed different. The car stopped in front of this yellow two story house with brown shutters and a porch that contained a rocking chair and rain boots next to the door. The family all came out to greet me and I saw that it was a small family of four.

“Why do I get the feeling that everything is going to be different once I step out of this car?” Looking to April, I saw that her small hands tightened on the steering wheel and she couldn’t look me in the eye. I waited for an answer but never received one. Instead she got out of the car and opened the trunk. Opening the door, I felt the breeze on my face and went to get my bags from April.

“Hello, I’m April Adams and this is Lana Wright” she gestured me to come over and I did “It’s lovely to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Robinson.” April nudged me to say something. I looked up and gave a slight smile. “Hi” Mrs. Robinson was truly giving me this whole stepford wives vibe except she was just smiling at me while standing straight. Her face was pointy looking with her blond hair that seemed perfect with no strand out of place. It creeped me out if I’ll be honest. Mr. Robinson was a man that looked rugged. He had a small beard that made him seem so manly. His brown eyes were so warm looking, but they were covered with black frames.

“Hello Lana, let me introduce you to my husband Matthew, and my two children Brian and Grace, oh and of course my name is Megan” Instantly my eyes went to each face stopping at the girl in front of me. She looked nothing like the rest of them. Her hair was short and black and her eyes narrowed to mine expressionless. Turning my head, I caught a small smirk forming on her lips. Extremely different from Grace, her brother Brian looked down at me and smiled. I was caught off guard, he was really good looking with his short brown hair all of over the place and his hazel eyes against his face, but there was something about him that I didn’t like. I just did not know what it was yet.

The adults were talking until everyone started to move into the house. It looked homier than it did on the outside with everything looking as if it was placed in their right places. It was as if their house was going to be featured in a home magazine.

“Don’t think that it’s like this every day. She wanted to impress you” Grace’s voice was quiet but strong. Standing by her, I found out that she was only around 5’2. Her hazel eyes met up with mine and she cocked her head to the side. It was annoying having her look at my face.