Chapter 19

Chapter 19

(Elsie’s P.O.V)

“It’s that kind of day isn’t it.” The chair beside me screeched as it was pulled from the table allowing the person talking to sit in front of me. My eyes met a woman with wavy hair of different pastel colors, an eyebrow ring, and tattoos under her rolled up denim shirt. Her hand went to shake her hair out of her face when I noticed the black apron with Allie written on the tag. She turned from me yelling at the person behind the desk that she was taking her break and to get us another round of coffees and muffins. “So out with it, tell me the story.”

“What makes you think that something is wrong?” I gave into her question for what reason I didn’t know.

“C’mon indulge me. It’s not that often when I meet a young girl so deep in thought that she didn’t noticed that she was mumbling to herself.” The boy behind the counter handed us our drinks then placed a plate of muffins in front of us. Thanking him, I brought the coffee to my lips. “Alright, we got our coffee and muffins. No one’s really here, so go ahead.”

Narrowing my eyes at her, I wondered what story she was trying to hear. “What did you hear?”

“Something along the lines of Owen, parents, and April I need you. I’m really great at listening aren’t I?” She leaned back in her chair with a smug smile.

“Yeah maybe too good” Biting into my muffin, I ignored her laughter.

 “I’m thinking epic love story with a hint of family issues. Sounds like something I know about.” She said as she reached down to rub her tummy.

“How far along are you?” I asked half wanting to steer the conversation away from me and half because I wanted to know.

“About three months now, but don’t change the subject.” She picked up another muffin as she stared at me. “Start with how you met him.”

“He says that he remembers me from long ago, but I don’t remember that. We bumped into each other the first day of school.” I began to tell her about him without the details of the supernatural. Talking with her made me realize I never told anyone about him and my feelings towards him. April was always the one who tried to get me to interact with people, but it only ended with her being my only person I told anything to. Now I didn’t have her to say these things too. My words took on a somber tone. “You know what, I can’t do this. I think I’m going to go.” Allie silently nodded and got up with me pushing back her seat. Taking the money out of my pocket for the coffee and muffin, I tried to give it to her but she refused it.

“Next time you can pay. This café will always be here. Got it” She smiled and was on her way back behind the counter. Grabbing my backpack, I headed out the café towards the entrance of the mall. Megan was nice enough to let me borrow her car. It showed to be a blessing getting away from Brian and Grace for the time being especially when Grace was involved with the art club that were making decorations for the dance coming up.

“Another person found dead this afternoon…. “Turning the dial to the radio off, I leaned over the steering wheel trying to keep my thoughts clear. I wanted to believe that this had nothing to do with rogues in the county, but I could be wrong. No matter what I did, it didn’t stop from people dying. Slapping my face with annoyance, I shook my head. What was so special about me?

My phone’s ringtone cut through my thoughts. It reminded me that I didn’t hear from Owen in a few days, nor was he in school today. I couldn’t help myself getting happy at the thought of it being him. Reaching it to my purse, I pulled out the phone to see that it wasn’t from Owen. It was Grace.