11. Reset With the King

Start from the beginning

"What?"

Mateo shrugs, rolling his eyes but they soon went to the table.

"Where's your wedding ring?"

I flinch, looking at my left hand that sat on the table. Mateo smirked at me in what it seemed like annoyance. He was bothering me when I was just figuring things out.

Lulu and Kenji tried looking at my hand but I hid it in my lap.

"None of your bus-."

"It's getting cleaned." Gideon interrupts, sighing as he nods at me." When we did the work with that association a lot of dirt got caught between the diamond. I couldn't let him walk around with a dirty ring, so, it's getting cleaned."

I stare at him in admiration, his eyes diverting from mine.

"That association thing was days ago. The ring should be cleaned by now Gideon. You can't fool a Mafia boss-."

"And you can't fool a Mafia King, I know what you're trying to do and it stops now." He snapped, Mateo instantly shrinking back into his seat. It was fascinating to watch because Gideon had all this power and he was only one person.

He didn't have to defend me. At the time he took the ring I was so rude to him, not that he didn't deserve it... Yet at the same time, he didn't...really...deserve it.

Standing up, all the eyes went on to me. I became irritated at how mean I am. Not that I shouldn't be like this, now the feelings of feeling bad are catching up to me.

"Damian-?"

"I'm going outside."

Before Gideon could say anything I rushed away and didn't give him a chance to say anything. I'm so...frustrated!

I wish he didn't stick up for me because now my heart is beating way too hard. Thinking about him sticking up for me makes me wonder why he's still so kind.

I should hate him! He uprooted my life selfishly and expected me to bend to all his rules. But after everything I've done and he's still considerate of me... I don't know what to say or do.

Once I was outside I realized that Tanzania was not as hot as I thought. Was a comfortable warmth and I wasn't...hit with a heatwave.

Always had a thought in my head that all of Africa was hot. I only ever heard of stories that involved scorching weather. So I instantly assumed all of Africa was like that.

It isn't. Thank goodness, I hate sweating.

"Damian!"

I look over shoulder to see Gideon jogging towards me. Once he was beside me he looked very irritated, but it soon turned into concern.

"What's wrong Damian? I talked to Mateo and he said he'd apologize-."

"I don't need his apology! That's not why I ran out!" I yell, Gideon narrowing his eyes at the rise of my voice.

"Why are you yelling me? I'm just coming out here to figure out what's wrong with you. You shouldn't be out here without the proper protection-."

"You think you'd be enough protection? I'm a man, I can protect my damn self." I snap, becoming even more irritated.

At that point, Gideon was completely quiet. He looked like he was trying to calm down and I understand why.

Here I am over here, taking out my frustrations onto him. I wonder why that is?...maybe it's because I know he won't leave me otherwise. If he loves me as much as he proclaims, this shouldn't be an issue.