Chapter 27 - Desperate For An Ear

Her blood was boiling, her face brimming with fire and her jaw clenched tightly. Izzy ran outside to clear her head of the poisonous thoughts. She sat on the edge of the sidewalk and watched the night calm her mind.

Though, her heartfelt a drop. Not again. Her eyes hollowed as they have once before and felt the numbness take over, swallow her whole.

The air felt heavy on her lungs but the moon and stars laid there in the sky so beautifully. She felt entranced with their beauty, "You guys look so lonely but so am I." 

She leaned forward to place her hands on her face. Her lips trembled while she tried to comfort herself by biting on them. It didn't do much good, but how else can she cope against the Nothingness?

Suddenly a smile flashed upon her. It reminded Izzy of fond memories in the past. Every time she saw that smile from Her, all her troubles melted away. She was the light in Izzy's dark world, but now she's gone. So, where's the light now?

Izzy just then felt a pain strike. "Why did you have to leave me? I know it's my fault but I wish you could come back to me." She kept hitting her thigh making sure to feel the pain. Izzy's leg eventually throbbing. "I'm so sorry I lost the last photo we all took together before we separated."

Her mind fuzzed and her sight became distorted. All of the memories and past experiences flashed. She was stuck in her mind.

Suddenly she felt someone tap her shoulder. A familiar presence right next to her.

"Izzy, are you okay?" His face filled with sorrow and his lips were slightly turned into a frown.

She rolled her eyes at his question. "Depends on your definition of okay, but to me, I seem fine." She shrugged her shoulders and smiled gently at Cole. 

"You don't seem fine." He put his hand on her shoulder increasing eye contact. The moonlight shined perfectly on his ocean eyes.

She pushed his hand off and turned to face forward-looking at the blank darkening sky. "Just go away, enjoy the rest of the party. I was planning on going home after all of that."

"I can't do that." He shook his head repeatedly. "There's obviously a problem, maybe I can fix it?"

"It's definitely not a problem you can fix." She sighed slightly talking slower to calm herself from rage and expressing her widespread sadness. "I like to be alone when I deal with shit like this. I'm the type of person who needs space not someone hugging me when I'm in a bad mood."

"I don't want to leave you, like I said it's something I simply can't do." A part of Izzy loved the fact that he cared enough to stay but the other part wanted him gone so she could figure out a solution herself.

"You're stubborn, I don't like it." They both gave genuine smiles. A slight spark lit in Izzy's eyes.

"You can tell me anything. I don't judge-"

"But you can't understand. You can't truly understand what I have experienced." The sorrow in her voice was outstanding to Cole. It was as if it was a cry for help.

"You're dealing with things in the past I presume?" Cole noticed her hands becoming clammy and how she had a distant look. She always had a distant look.

The palms of her hands started to sweat. A pit in her stomach started to grow and nourish once more. "It's none of your concern, Cole. I care about you deeply but there is no need for you to get involved in my affairs."

"But I want to help if there's anything?" He tried to pry her open, to break the walls she built so high, but it was no use.

"Nothing, I already told you, you can't help the helpless."

"I will try everything in my power to do so." Izzy rolled her eyes with a smile at his idiotic comment. It was futile to continue to ask what caused her sadness and her pits of anger.

She sighs heavily, "stop it."

"I heard girls just want someone to listen to them instead of having their problem solved. Is it true?" Curiosity followed on his lips.

"Probably, but for me, I don't want that." She gave another smile, but it was with unexplainable emotion. A smile that seemed like gold but in reality full of rusty copper.

"I know you just want someone to notice, to listen to you. You're desperate for someone to care for you but you can't, won't, and hate showing it. It's not wrong to show emotions, Iz."

She was shocked she felt like she was being read like a book and because of that, she hated it. "That isn't what—Never mind." She sighed with frustration. Her words got stuck in her throat.

"I'll listen, Iz, to anything you have to say, I'm here." The support from him was overwhelming.

"Let's just say, the world is causing my suffering." She swung her arms to the night sky, showing off that the world has caused her pain.

"Ah, your one of those people."

"What do you mean 'one of those people?"

"You blame others for your suffering. In actuality, you are to blame for the dwelling. You are in charge of your own happiness."

"Well fuck."

"I told you I can deduct people well."

"I never doubted your skill." She chuckled, a real genuine smile appeared.

"Sure you haven't." She finally looked back into his eyes. "But please just talk to me."

"I won't but thanks for suggesting."

"One day your mind will be so compacted you'll need to release them out, I'll be waiting for that."

"I could just talk to Bailey or Spencer, you know."

"Oh, right, I forgot."

"You forgot I had friends?" Izzy smirked trying to spin the conversation in a new direction.

"I didn't mean it that way."

"Of course you didn't." There were laughs and small chuckles.

"If you won't open up, I'll help drown your worries."

"Please do." She didn't even bother to ask how. She didn't want to care how, she just wanted there to be a distraction.

Izzy turns to face him with little to no wonder. She felt the breeze soften, she felt her hair become lighter, swaying in the wind. Cole stared into her dark brown eyes. He looked at her soft plump lips and bit his.

There was this magnetic force pulling them together but one of them tried their hardest to deny that attraction.

He leaned in closer and Izzy felt his breath hit her skin. Every touch was explosive. Every touch felt like her skin was burning. Every touch with a passion.

Cole places his hand on her chin and right as their lips were about to touch Izzy pulled away looked off to the side with embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, but we can't."

Not just one person's heart broke that day.

Two.

===================
sorry for the late posting