Capítulo 8 (ocho)

Start from the beginning

Her feet carried her outside and past me, groaning as she knelt down to one of the horse's side. The medic barked at one of my men to hold her candle close enough for her old eyes to see the wound in the pitch darkness. After she made a feisty grimace on the blood-soaked bite mark, she disappeared into the house, carrying the small, wax object again.

A loud thud escaped the main entrance and after a quick glance at the others, I was met with the short female again. This time, not only did she carry the candle but also the tiniest of bowls I've ever seen. She handed the wooden object to me with much strength and with murmuring something about putting in on the horse's wound.

I let my sight rest upon it for a while before it moved to her. My heart skipped a beat under the pressure her dark eyes made, sparkling in the dim light. The thought of her knowing something darted around in my head and poked my insides with merciless fear. And then –

"Tu es bien plus beau en réalité, jeune pirate."

--- dropped the unfair blow. 'Well, fuck.' thought I as my teeth gritted and the blood in my veins turned into ice. A frown formed on my face as I unwillingly switched the object from one hand to another, and pulled out a well-known, small pouch.

"Merci pour le compliment, fée dame," I eased for a growl in return, her dangerous chuckle being its echo. "Vous parlez bien, n'est-ce pas?" I held back to not react as I played with the attached ribbon and finally opened it, round golden objects brushing against my fingers as I dove into them.

"Un à cause d'interrompre votre sommeil....," the tiny coin settled itself upon her palm, shinning in the candle light. ".....un à cause de votre service....," another one landed there and finally, the last one joined them at last; "Et un pour garder la bouche fermée."

The doctor's toothy grin awoke a fire of anger inside of me and I swore to God I'd have had jumped her and tore her throat apart if we weren't outside, and one young Italian boy wasn't watching. "Et un homme raisonnable à cela." Her last comment made my stomach clutch and my will was tested mercilessly as I pushed the annoyance into a dark corner somewhere back in my mind.

The light from her candle disappeared as she strode away and we were left in the darkness once more. I was frozen by her raw attitude until a young voice came from behind me; "Bueno ... si ella no era luchadora, ¿verdad?" The other two men laughed and I myself let out a low, rich sound at the boy's cheeky comment. "Pero tenemos lo que queríamos, ¿no?"

With a finale inhale, I packed the bowl with other things and heaved the animal's back. "Sí. Ahora vámonos. No podemos quedarnos aquí ahora," I sternly pointed-out and with a low groan from one of my subordinates, we started for another long journey.

---------------------

'Even if I was ten years old younger,' I thought as a loud crack reached my ears, 'It wouldn't hurt like this.' This had seriously remained me of how much I missed my bed back at Rosa sangrienta. I picked my sore body up from the hard ground, dusted myself with care and went for the eating four-legged animals.

It shuddered as the leathered saddle fell atop of its back. Brown orbs stared at me with such innocence and pain, my own heart ached because of it. I gently patted the horse's shoulder muscles and gave it an apologetic smile; I myself wished to let them rest and be free but our voyage hasn't ended yet.

However, he, (or she – I have had no idea what gender it was), continued to stare at me with his eyes until I let out a frustrated sigh. "Don't give me that goddamned look; I'm tired myself," I said to him and the animal seemed to understand but wasn't pleased with the outcome. Head low and eyes twitching in wrath were things that reflected my very own emotions. But then—