Trivia Time with Nico di Angelo

Start from the beginning

"It's officially midnight," Hestia said, pointing to a clock on the overhead.

"December 24th," Blaise confirmed.

A tense silence fell over them. They had eight days until Ceres' trial now, and that wasn't nearly enough time to find the Artifacts, find the Philosopher's Stone, and save the Wizarding World from collapsing. Oh yeah, and the entire time it was up to her and Alabaster to guess where Hades and Hecate would fight, and to protect nearly every major city in America.

I hear Honolulu is really nice this time of year... until Vulcan chooses a side and blows Hawaii off the map.

They walked in silence to the Doors of Orpheus. The park was pretty empty; there was the occasional drunk person or college kid, but that was it.

"Do you think Hecate's captured the Doors yet?" Will asked.

"What dost thou mean 'yet?' " Roszí growled. Thalia sighed. Artemis supported Hades, so the Hunters supported Hades, even if they'd officially declared their neutrality. But did Roszí have to be so hostile about it?

"Hades might have some defenses up," Hestia reasoned. Thalia shot her a silent thank you, because Will didn't look too happy about Roszí's comment.

"That's true," Thalia said. "We should send a scout first so we know what we're up against."

"Who's the least likely to get killed?" Percy asked.

They looked around. Nico was an obvious no. Artemis sided with Hades, so Thalia, Roszí, and Ianthe were out if Hecate had the Doors. Zeus and Poseidon supported Hecate, so Percy and Thalia were out if Hades had the Doors. And Blaise and Hestia were followers of Hecate, a prime target for Hades, which left...

"I'll go," Nico said, panicked.

Everyone just stared at him.

"Uh, no, no you won't," Blaise said.

"You're a walking target," Hestia agreed.

"They hate me equally...?" Nico tried, but even he knew how lame an excuse that was.

"I'll knock you unconscious again if you try," Percy threatened.

Will put his hand in Nico's. "I'll be fine, Neeks."

"That's what people say before they die."

Will chuckled. "You're cute when you're worried." He turned to Blaise and Hestia. "Give me one of those two-way mirrors. I'll find a tree to climb and give you a bird's eye view."

Blaise pulled one of the mirrors out of their duffel bag, along with Will's quiver and arrows. Thalia remembered his skills from when they played Capture the Flag. He wasn't as good as his siblings, but he was leagues above any of the other cabins.

"Shoot straight," Thalia said as Will slung his quiver over his shoulder.

He gave her a thumbs up, then kissed Nico on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

Percy put a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder. Nico's eyes followed Will up into the trees until he disappeared in the canopy of leaves.

The picture came in. The good news? Neither Hecate nor Hades was guarding the Door of Orpheus. The bad news? It was because a battle was raging below Will's feet.

Nico pointed to monsters with saw-like bones coming out of their heads. "Those are aeternae!" Then, he pointed to black monsters the size of elephants with three horns on their horse-like foreheads. "And those are odontotyrannos! Neither of them have left Tartarus since Alexander the Great!" There were keres too, and spartae. Plus hundreds of skeletal warriors with guns, knives, and swords.