Attack of the Killer Roosters

CHAPTER SUMMARY

The questers continue their journey. The Grangers are trapped in a blizzard.

BEGINNING NOTES

Chapter Rating: Teen and Up Audiences
Content Warning: Cursing, Rape/Sexual Harassment (mentioned only), Mild Racism
Word Count: 3772

Roszí is pronounced ROW-shee.

Merda is shit in Italian. Just FYI.

And all the characters are owned by JK Rowling, or Rick Riordan.

Credits at the end.

____________________NICO____________________

***

A four-year-old boy heard the sound of a bus's engine the same moment Mamma gave him the news.

"I won't go! I won't go!" Nico screamed. "I won't leave Venice!"

"Nico," Mamma chided. "You're a big boy, my little angel, you can do anything, even if it's hard."

"I WON'T GO!" he shrieked. "I'll run away! I'll live with the orphans! Do you want me to live with the orphans?!" His cheeks were hot, red, and covered in tears. When Mamma ignored him, he only screamed louder. "You hate me! I hate you! You hate me!" He collapsed on the floor and screamed, drumming his fists on the ground.

"All right," Mamma said. "Hmm, Nonno, will you get a bag? Nico wants to live with the orphans."

Nonno complied. Nico kept on screaming because he knew Mamma wouldn't let him live with the orphans. Nonno came back with a knapsack. Mamma hummed as she gathered the items. "Well, Nico, what will you need? Here is some food, and your blanket, why don't you run upstairs and take Ele from your bed? I will go to the water closet and get you a bar of soap."

"I'LL LIVE WITH ORPHANS!" Nico screamed at the top of his lungs. "I HATE THE AOSTA VALLEY! I WON'T GO! I WON'T GO! I WON'T GO! I WON'T GO! I WON'T GO!"

"Grandpa? Will you get Nico's clothes and Ele? I need to finish quickly so he can get to the orphans before nighttime."

Nonno returned with the items. The bag was packed. Nico kept throwing his tantrum. "Up you go," Mamma said as she lifted him off the floor, kicking and screaming. She wrestled the knapsack into his arms and ushered him out the door. "Out, out. I'm sure you will find the orphans before the sun sets."

Mamma pushed him onto the street. He looked back at her, standing in the doorway with Bianca crying and clutching her leg. "Nico!" Bianca cried. "Nico, don't go!"

But Nico made up his mind. With tears in his eyes, he marched out the door and followed the brick steps to the cobblestone road. That is, until he got to the canal outside his house. He stopped.

"Well?" Mamma asked from the doorway. "On you go, Nico."

"I can't!" Nico sniffed, wiping his nose with his hand. "I'm not allowed to cross the street by myself!"

***

"Nico, watch out!" someone screamed.

"--oh, merda!" Nico ducked just in time to avoid the cockatrice's attempted lizard-tail-to-the-face.