In-Laws

Peperony

Peter is 4

...

"Tony, my parents asked me and my sister if we wanted to go to brunch at with the kids," Pepper said nervously. 

Pepper's parents are good people. They love the Stark family, but they really love the Thompson family (Pepper's sister). The Thompson family consists of Ginger (Pepper's sister), Bill (the husband), and their two kids, Bill Jr and Cindy. Both kids are very cute... but they are bratty and get everything they want. Tony and Pepper won't deny that Peter is a lucky kid, but they have raised him so he doesn't get everything he wants and isn't selfish. The Stark family love Pepper's parents, but they can be very frustrating. They act as if the world revolves around the Thompsons and do whatever they can for them, often times forgetting about the Stark's or forcing them into doing things they don't like just because it is what the Thompson's want to do. Needless to say, Pepper and Tony get ticked off during family gatherings. 

"Pep, it'll be ok, afterward, you, me, and Peter can hang out the rest of the day, we don't have any meetings." Pepper nods and Tony (like the good husband he is) pulls his wife into a comforting hug. 

...

"Hey Peter, put on your jacket and shoes. We are going to brunch with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Ginger, Uncle Bill, and your cousins!" Pepper makes her voice extra cheery, not that she doesn't want to see her family but again it can be super frustrating. Peter excitedly puts on his coat and shoes (with the help of his dad) and smiles up at his parents. 

"Let's go, buddy," Tony picks his son up and swings him onto his hip making the brown haired boy with curly hair giggle. When the small family arrives at the diner, Tony holds Peter tight to his body and has one hand interlaced with Pepper's to try and avoid the paparazzi, and of course, people are crowded around the outside of the shop. 

Sometimes Tony wonders if JARVIS leaks information of where they are going to the press. Because seriously how did they know that the Stark's where getting breakfast at this specific diner in all of New York. Once Tony and Pepper found their way through the door they sighed in relief and walked over to the table they saw the rest of their family at. Tony gave Pepper's hand a tight squeeze before letting go. Pepper's parents stood up and gave both Pepper and Tony a hug as well as Peter. 

Ginger and Bill just waved. Tony settled Peter into a seat with a small booster so he could reach the table. Peter sat next to Tony and Cindy, who sat next to Billy Jr, who sat next to Ginger who sat next to Bill who sat next to Mr. Potts who sat next to Mrs. Potts who sat next Pepper who sat on the other side of Tony. (that took some thinking) 

The waiter came over, slightly flustered to be serving the Stark's meal. 

"Alright, my name is Emma, I'll start by getting your drink orders. Is this on separate tabs?"

Tony shook his head and flashed her a smile, "Put it all on one. We'll pay," Tony said. Pepper rolled her eyes at her husband's smile. 

"You better," Mrs. Potts said giggling slightly. 

Except she wasn't giggling. Tony glanced over at Pepper who looks slightly irritated and Tony scratched his beard awkwardly. 

"I'll have a Coffee, and these two," Ginger says pointing to her kids, "Will have apple juice (they are the same age as Peter)" The waiter nods and writes something down in her notebook. 

The rest of the table went around, the adults having coffee,  and Peter having apple juice. The waiter then left to go retrieve the drinks. 

Mrs. Potts face lit up and she started rummaging around in her purse for something, "We brought a present for the kids." Bill Jr and Cindy clapped their hands together and begun to giggle. Peter smiled happily and beamed up to his dad who had an arm around him. Mrs. Potts pulled out two small wrapped gifts. Both Pepper and Tony's smile faltered and they glanced at each other. Peter didn't seem to notice and continued smiling making his parent's hearts break. She handed both presents to Bill Jr and Cindy. Peter slouched down confused, maybe it was still in her purse? The two kids ripped open their presents and beamed at what they saw. It was a cute picture frame with a picture of Mr. and Mrs. Potts with Bill Jr and Cindy. Neither kids said thank you. Peter sadly looked up at his parents.