182 1/2

...

182 1/2 days.

One birthday.

Five decathlon meets.

26 movie nights.

546 meals.

And so much more.

That's how long the Avengers have been gone.

Not dead.

But on a mission.

Not an hour goes by that I don't fear their safety. Are they dead? Are they hurt?

Mr. Fury has been very kind to me. I like him a lot. I think he likes me.

But he isn't my dad or my uncles and aunt.

I barely slept.

I only eat when Mr. Fury forces me to, he can be pretty scary sometimes. At school I no longer answer questions, instead, I sit in the back and ignore Ned's worried glare.

They promised they would be back in a week, for my birthday.

But they never came back.

So I hoped they would come back the week after. But they didn't.

They didn't come back at all.

And now, by the day I am losing hope.

Fear takes over me and I know they aren't coming back. But I still hope anyway.

...

I walk out of my room into the kitchen. Fury is standing in a black shirt and black pants (per usual). "Hey Spider-Kid, sleep good,"

After a mission her found out I was Spider-Man, the other Avengers were terrified but Mr. Fury just said 'You got skill kid,' and then he has hung out with us ever since.

"Hi Mr. Fury," I say and then shrug to his question. He sighs. I know he is trying to make me happier and to be honest he has. If he hadn't been so stubborn and moved into the guest bedroom, I would have been completely alone and completely sad. Of course I'm still unbelievably sad, but there is still a small sliver of happiness inside of me.

Every Saturday night, Mr. Fury pops some popcorn and we watch a movie, just like I used to do with the rest of the Avengers. I usually fall asleep during the movie and then wake up hours later to a nightmare in my bed.

Mr. Fury throws an apple at me, I catch it and take a bite out of it. I'm not hungry but I learned not to argue with him. He can be quite scary at times.

"I'll see you later kid," I nod and walk onto the elevator.

...

I sit quietly in the front of the school bus by the teachers, Ned next to me and Flash in the way back. We are going on a field trip today. To my home.

Normally I would be embarrassed, scared, but they aren't home so I don't have to worry.

About that at least.

I would rather have to worry about being embarrassed by my family then wondering if they are even alive.

The bus pulls to a stop in the parking lot of my house. The kids excitedly scramble out of the bus. I just drag my feet along, Ned walking by my side. We enter the building and I see Mr. Fury waiting in the lobby, he sees me right away and smiles slightly, I give him a small smile back.

"Hello children, I am Fury, the director of SHIELD, someone else was originally going to lead the tour today but..." He glances over at me sadly and I look down, "He couldn't make it," I wipe at my eye. He instructs us how to pass through security, thanks god FRIDAY doesn't announce the levels.