Comfort Food

(Age 15)

"Okay goodnight El," Mike said, looking at the girl who sat curled up under the blankets on the basement couch.

"Goodnight Mike." She replied simply, pulling the covers over them both. Hopper was working late that night and had given El permission to spend the night at the Wheelers' house- more specifically, with Mike.

He gently placed a hand on her side and closed his eyes, smiling softly as El moved closer to him, burying her head in his chest. Mike opened his eyes and grinned, softly placing a kiss to her head and hugging her closer. She smiled softly and fell asleep slowly, curled up in his arms.

Mike ran his fingers through her hair and simply looked down at the sleeping girl in his arms, a grin plastered across his face. He let his eyes scan over her features, noticing how angelic she looked while she slept, "I love you beautiful," He whispered softly, hugging her closer and making sure she was warm, safe and comfortable before letting himself drift off to sleep.

Hours after Mike had fallen asleep, El awoke. She whined slightly and snuggled further into his chest, the images of a nightmare replaying in her mind. She shuddered and curled into her boyfriend more, trying to fall back asleep. But her heart pounded in her chest and her chest rose and fell rapidly.

El looked at her boyfriend who was peacefully asleep and gently shook his arm. "Mike, Mike, Mike." Her voice became more panicked each time she spoke her boyfriend's name.

Mike flinched slightly and rubbed his eyes, "El? What's wrong? What is it? What do I have to kill?" He sat up slightly and focused of the girl next to him, "Aw El." He opened his arms to her, quickly understanding what had happened.

She moved closer to him and buried her head in his chest, closing her eyes and sighing softly at the feeling of his warm embrace around her. He sighed and held her close, threading his fingers through her hair to soothe her. It hurt his heart when his girl got those vivid nightmares; he could always see the fear and panic that lingered in her eyes after her nightmares. And it seemed that Mike was the only one that could fully calm and comfort El.

They laid there in silence for a few moment, his arms wrapped around her protectively and her head buried in his chest. "I hate it," El spoke after a moment, her voice sounding soft and fragile.

"I know," Mike replied simply, "I hate it when it happens." He ran his fingers through her hair and softly pressed a kiss to her forehead, "I don't like seeing my girl hurt or upset."

A small smile formed on her lips at his words and she snuggled into him further, the feeling of his warm arms around her momentarily numbing her thoughts and making her heart speed up, but for good reasons now. After a moment she slowly looked up at him, the fear in her eyes slowly beginning to fade. Mike smiled softly and kissed the tip of her nose, making El wrinkle up her nose at his actions; Mike found that to be one of the cutest and purest things El had done. And the list of the cute and pure things his girlfriend did was long.

"I don't want to sleep," El admitted after a moment, visibly exhausted. Though she knew she was safe and secure in her boyfriend's arms, her fear still made its way through her barrier.

Mike nodded a little, playing with a strand of her hair, "Understandable. But nothing is going to happen to you El," he tucked the strand of her hair behind her ear, "I got you."

"I-I know Mike but-"

"Hey hey," Mike said softly, placing a finger under her chin, making her lock eyes with him, "you know you don't have to explain anything to me. I understand." El instantly relaxed and calmed against his touch, a small smile forming on her lips. "How about I make us some eggos as comfort food."

"Eggos?" She asked, her eyes lighting up at his words. "But it's the middle of the night."

"So what?" Mike grinned, softly kissing her cheek, "I'll be right back."

El nodded and curled up under the covers, waiting for Mike. Meanwhile, her boyfriend snuck upstairs and semi-quietly made a plate of eggos. After a few moment he crept back downstairs and crawled back onto the couch, a plate of warm eggo waffles in his hand.

"Are you sure you didn't wake anyone?" El asked, taking two waffles from the plate.

"I'm sure El," He replied, taking a waffle, "I'm a ninja, don't worry."

She couldn't help but laugh softly, making herself comfortable in his warm arms as she nibbled on an eggo. Mike smiled and held her closer, gently playing with strands of her soft hair. She finished off the plate of eggos and snuggled further into his warm embrace, laying her head on his chest. Mike slowly shifted them, laying down fully on the couch with El curled up in his arms.

"You feeling better El?" Mike asked gently, running his fingers through her hair.

"Mhm." She replied sleepily, her exhaustion obviously catching up to her now.

He smiled and closed his eyes, "Get some rest beautiful." He hugged her closer and grinned as El shifted to rest her head over his heart. "God I love you," He whispered, pulling the covers over them again.

"I love you too," She whispered before drifting off to sleep, a small smile on her face.

Mike laid there looking at his girl for a moment, gently playing with the ends of her hair and placing soft kisses to the top of her head before he drifted off to sleep himself.

Sometimes all you need to fall asleep is some cuddles, kisses and comfort food.

Oof this was fluffy. Hope you enjoyed.
Don't forget to hit the star button on your way out.