Her King, His Queen

(Age 16/17)

"Mike, where are we going?" El asked as Mike led her to the lake. A blindfold covered her eyes and she relyed on Mike to guide her as the sun began to set.

"Its a surprise El," Mike smiled, though he was nervous as hell for this. He took a deep breathe as they came to a stop near the lake, "O-okay, now you can look."

El pulled off the blindfold and gasped. Fairy lights were tangled in the branches of the trees around them and the setting sun left the sky covered in red and yellow.

In Mike's hand, he held a rose and he knelt down on one knee infront of her, "El, you are the best thing thats ever happened to me. I still remember that night at the SnowBall in middle school and I want to re-live that night again with you, the girl I love. El, w-will you go to prom with me?"

El smiled and took the rose from his hand and brought him to his feet, "Yes."

Mike grinned and the panic and nervousness faded from him as El wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed a kiss against his lips. Prom would be a night to remember.

A week later...

"What the actual fuck are you guys doing?" Mike asked as he and El walked over to the rest of the party who were writing on slips of paper.

"We're voting you and El for prom king and queen," Dustin replied as he folded another slip of paper.

"Prom is like 3 weeks away," Mike protested, "I don't understand why you are already voting."

"Sooner the better," Dustin replied and elbowed Lucas in the ribs, "Keep writing!"

Lucas groaned and grabbed his pen and scrawled their names across the paper before tossing it to Dustin and wrapping an arm around Max's shoulders.

"We have 12 slips between all of us," Dustin said, as he stacked the slips into a pile, "I'll pull a few strings to get more votes."

"I still dont get why you guys care or want us to win..." Mike mumbled as he wrapped an arm around El's waist.

"We don't care," Max spoke up and pointed at Dustin, "He made us do this... I couldn't care less about prom or you and El being king and queen."

"Mike, whats prom king and queen?" El asked quietly as she met Mike's eyes.

"People vote for a guy and a girl to be the so-called king and queen of the prom," Mike answered, "It doesn't really mean anything, it's kind of a prom superstition. The king and queen wear cheap crowns and slow dance at prom. That's all."

"And we are going to make sure you guys win," Dustin said cheerfully, "But in order for you guys to win, Mike, I need 10 bucks."

Prom Night

El looked at her refection in Nancy's vanity mirror. Nancy had just finished curling El's now medium hair and was now doing her makeup. El's dress layed spread out across Nancy's bed.