I Should've Saved You •Part 2•

A continuation of the previous oneshot

Dedicated to ilysadie

January 1985

"El, please don't gowe'll find another way to stop it." Mike protested as he stared at her bright eyes.

"I'm the only one who can fix it," El sighed, "You have to let me go, Mike."

"O-okay El. But I can't lose you again," Mike said, looking at El with nervous eyes. She had just come home, and now she had to leave again, to save the town,  and everyone in it.

"You won't lose me," El replied softly and met his dark eyes.

"Do you promise?" Mike asked as a few tears flowed down his cheeks.

El nodded slightly, "Promise." She leaned in close and pressed her forhead against Mike's until Hopper's voice called El.

El gave him another look before she got into Hopper's truck and they pulled out of the driveway. Even as they pulled away from the house, El's and Mike's eyes were on eachother.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"They should be back by now," Mike paced back and forth  in front of the window.

"Mike, calm down, I'm sure they're fine." Dustin spoke up, "El's strong, she'll be okay."

Mike took a shaky breath,"I hope so," He shook his head, "I need her to be okay. I just got her back and now-"

"They're here!" Steve shouted. Mike ran to the front door and opened it as Hopper picked up El's limp body and walked inside.

"Is she okay? What happened? Did she close it?" Mike asked as Hopper laid El down on the couch. Mike and everyone else looked at Hopper as he brushed away tears on his cheek.

"I'm sorry kid," Hopper's voice wavered, "She's gone."

Mike's heart shattered into pieces as he looked up at Hopper in disbelief, "N-no. No! She can't be! She can't be d-" Mike couldn't bring himself to say the word as he collapsed onto the floor in tears.

"She promised me!" Mike shouted through his tears, "She said I wouldn't lose her! She said she would come back! She promised! Why did i let her go!"

Mike looked at El's dead body and pulled himself to his feet. He knelt on the floor next to her body and cried. "Its my fault.  Its my fault again. I lost her once, now I lost her again, forever!" Mike took her cold hand in his, "I messed up El. I-I killed you. It's my fault, all my fault!"