The Special Christmas Gift

Merry Christmas everyone! ❤️

(Age 15)

"Mom when is everyone coming over?" Mike asked, climbing onto the kitchen counter and grabbing a freshly baked cookie from the tray.

"Soon; in an hour." His mother replied, moving the tray of cookies out of Mike's reach, "Nancy's ex-boyfriend, Steve Harrington is bringing your friends Lucas, Max, and Dustin over. Jonathan and Joyce are bringing Will. And chief Hopper is bringing your... friend Jane." She couldn't help but smile at the last sentence. Though Mike wouldn't admit it, she knew Mike and El had a special connection.

Mike instantly grinned and his cheeks turned bright red at the mention of El. "Her nickname is El, mom. Call her that instead of Jane, please. It's what she prefers."

"Honey, you really like this girl, huh? You look like a tomato and I only said her name once."

He fanned his face with his hand, ignoring her question, "I don't like her, she's just a friend. Also, please don't embarrass me in front of her. No mentioning me when I was a baby or showing her baby pictures or anything."

Karen raised her hands, "Alright I won't embarrass you, Michael. I won't embarrass you in front of your crush!" She reached over and pinched Mike's cheek, who groaned and hit her hand away. "My little boy is growing up."

No one except for the party knew that Mike and El were actually dating. If their parents (especially Hopper) knew... it wouldn't end well.

"Mom I'm 15 years old. I'm not little." Mike sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, "I'm going into the basement!" He jumped off of the counter and made his way down the stairs.

He sat on the basement steps and picked up the little gift bag from underneath the stairs. Mike slowly opened it and peered inside, double checking that everything was perfect. Pulling out a pen from his pocket, he quickly wrote the name El on the little tag on the gift bag.

"You got this Mike," He whispered to himself, "She'll love it. It's a nice Christmas gift... right?" He sighed and ran his fingers through his dark hair, "You can do this." He slipped the bag back under the steps and stood up.

Mike began to clean up the basement, mumbling words to himself, "Should I try to kiss her? There is that mistletoe Nancy set up in the hallway... maybe I can get El over there..." He stifled a laugh as his cheeks turned a bright shade of red, surprised by the fact that he had even thought about kissing El under the mistletoe. Mike knew he wouldn't have the confidence to kiss his girlfriend in front of so many people and under the mistletoe and during a very special moment and very special day.

"Michael! Your friends are here!" His father called from upstairs, instantly making Mike grin and run upstairs just as Lucas, Dustin, Max and Will walked inside, followed by Joyce, Jonathan and Steve.

His smile faltered ever so slightly as he noticed El wasn't here yet. "Hey guys, Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you too Wheeler." Max sighed, adjusted the red sweater she had worn.

"Mike, Merry Christm- ooh are those cookies?" Dustin grinned and reached for the tray of cookies.

Everyone stifled a laugh and exchanged greetings before finally deciding to go to the basement. Lucas and Dustin immediately plugged in the Atari game system and began to play while Max and Will shouted somewhat helpful tips at them over their shoulders. Mike sat on the basement steps, quickly checking to make sure his gift for El was perfect and ready.

"Who's that gift for, Wheeler?" Max asked as she took the game controller from Lucas' hands.

"Oh uh, no one, someone." Mike stuttered slightly, turning his now red face away from them.