53 ~ Month Sixteen: February

Start from the beginning

"Did you get anything?"

"He got me this hat!" she answers, gesturing to the purple, floral mess on top of her head.

"Did you pick that out?" I tease and she nods enthusiastically.

"Yeah!"

"I never would have guessed."

"What the girl likes, the girl gets." Kyle shrugs, smiling at her.

"Good motto." I grin.

"We're going out for food, do you want to join us?"

"No I'm okay," I reply, gesturing back towards my work.

"Are you sure?" Elena asks, cocking her head she glances over at me. "You're more than welcome!"

"Of course." Kyle nods his head.

"No, honestly I'm fine," I assure her, smiling at the two of them. "Go, enjoy!"

"Thanks Sav," she tells me. "See you later."

"Have fun!" I exclaim and she grins, sending me a tiny wave before they both shuffle out the door, muttering and chuckling to each other. I can't help but smile at their behavior, the door eventually shutting out their harmless chattering. Their relationship appears to be flourishing, Elena spending at least one night a week at his since the end of January. She'd assured me that they're being safe and, to quote her, 'wrapping it up tighter than Fort Knox'. After staring at her blankly she'd had to explain that it was a military site in Kentucky that stored gold, apparently extremely difficult to break into. Who knew?

Sitting back I lean my head against the wall, grabbing hold of my bedspread and pulling it up over my covers. I swear I spend ninety percent of my time in bed now, desperate for the warmth and comfort that it provides.

It was never like this back in Edgewater Valley. Back there Haydon and I were happy, we were always excited to be in each other's company. Here, everything has changed.

Reaching for my phone I click onto the name of my safety net and pull the phone to my ear, closing my eyes as a traitorous tear falls down my cheek. My sister picks up after three rings.

"Elle?" I manage to choke out.

"Ann? Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"I'm your sister," she retorts. "I know that you aren't okay right now."

"I'm not sure that everything is okay with Haydon." I manage to get out before I turn into a blabbering, sobbing mess down the phone to my sister.

*~*~*

Staring at the white screen on my laptop I grimace, praying for something to come to me, to be able to write anything down on the blank document. The paper is due in eight days, and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. Eight days to write and perfect four thousand words.

Just great.

Leaning my elbows on the table I rest my head on my hands as I continue to gaze down at my laptop, searching for inspiration. There is absolutely nothing worse than when you first sit down to start a paper. Staring at the blank page, reminding you that you haven't even uttered one word yet, is the most demoralising part of college.

Coming to the coffee shop was my bright idea to help me. I thought a change of scenery would help, give me a fresh head. Unfortunately it hasn't worked and instead, I keep getting distracted watching the various customers who enter, ordering coffees from Louise, one of the employees.

"Hey." The voice startles me and I look up quickly, a rabbit caught in headlights.

"Hey." I greet Brett, who's come to a stop at the other side of the table, grinning down at me.