Awkward Remembering

A/N: Dedicated to @snapplechan for the first chapter of 'Stay With Me'.

WARNING: MY OUAT INSERTS ARE IN THEIR OWN UNIVERSE/TIMELINE AND CERTAIN FACTS HAVE BEEN MANIPULATED FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE STORYLINE.

Disclaimer: I do not own OUAT.

She was busying herself at the stove, preparing her husband a wonderful meal but the pain in her temple was so overwhelming. Her temple was pounding, like a drill was tearing through her brain. The real world was melting away from Indigo, her eyes misting over and vivid memories flooding into sight.

Tenderly, he felt arms gently help him rise to his unsteady feet and carefully guide him to his bed. Silently, the female assisted to help Jefferson get into his King size, four poster bed. Slipping in between the silk sheets, he lay his head against the plush pillow. Heavy-lidded eyes followed her movements as she tucked him in. As she adjusted the duvet around his shoulders, she leaned in close to his ear. "Sleep well, my love."

What was this?

There was shouting, no, screaming. Someone was screaming, cries of despair. There was the sound of furniture smashing, repeatedly being thrown into walls and other items in the room. Indigo approached cautiously, frightened by what she would find when she stepped over the threshold. Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, she unlocked the door, pausing, Indigo willed herself to find the courage to face whatever awaited her. She stepped into the room.

A gasp caught in her throat. The exquisite room was no longer beautiful. Curtains lay in tatters on the room. Splinters of wardrobe were scattered dangerously and crunched underfoot. It was the huddled body of the Mad Hatter that Indigo was most focused on, he was breathing heavy, panting, exhausted from his tantrum. "Have you come to mock?" he laughed, wiping his face with a bloodied hand, sliced on a debris of wardrobe.

Indigo could feel her eyes widening, rushing to his side, she gathered him in her arms. Holding her to him. At that moment he wept, clinging to her like she was his only salvation. "What happened, was it another dream?"

"Yes." he mumbled, tears streaking his face.

"What was it of?"

Jefferson rubbed a red-stained hand over his cheek, leaving a mark on his face. "Destruction."

"The Queen?"

He nodded. "I saw everyone I love, die."

"Oh, Jefferson..."

He laughed. "Why am I even telling you this? You just think I'm mad." he suddenly pushed Indigo away. "Now get away from me, I want to be alone and as usual you're here."

His sudden change in mood towards her, caught the female off guard. She had been trying to comfort him, now he was pushing her away. It was his way of dealing with hurt and pain, by lashing out at the nearest person. In this case, it was her. Indigo suddenly stood up. "Fine. If you need me, I'll be in the library."

Jefferson was not used to her listening to him, usually she disobeyed. Suddenly he grabbed her skirt. "Wait!" he took her hand in his bloodied one. "No, stay. I-I-I don't want to be alone. I'm sorry, I was just angry. Don't leave."

"Are-are you sure?" Indigo knelt by him once more.

"No, I want you to be here. Just...sit here with me, please?"

So, they sat there, in each others company. Indogo comforting the Hatter.

No, this could not be happening, could it?

His scream ripped through the air, jolting Indigo awake. Disorientated, she shook her head to cast away the sleep and wake her sluggish brain. Her eyes danced around the room trying to pin point the source of the agonising howl, then they fell upon Jefferson, who was trembling in a corner of the room. Falling out of bed, she stumbled over to his quaking form. "Jefferson, oh my gosh, Jefferson!" Indigo dropped down beside him, her eyes widening in pure terror.

"Am I mad?" he whispered, his voice shaking.

"What?"

He repeated his question, raising his head to pook at her. "Am I mad?"

She engulfed him in her embrace, holding him to her. Indigo could feel him trembling beneath her fingertips. "You're not mad," she reassured him, closing her eyes as tears slipped down her cheeks. "you're brilliant."

She broke away from her new (well, old) memories, finding herself staring at the stove. She stared solemnly at it, trying to work out what was the next step.

Indigo took a step forward, knowing that she needed to talk to Jefferson but as she did, a huge pain over took her, sending shooting pains up and down her spine. Her whole being seemed to be ripping apart. Atom separating from atom, what was this? Indigo's vision was moving in and out of focus, causing her head to threaten to cave in. Suddenly, her legs gave way, forcing Indigo to lie on the cold, hard ground of the kitchen.

Everything faded to black.

A/N: QUESTION OF THE DAY: X-MEN OR JUSTICE LEAGUE?