Awkward Cafe

Valerian's job could not be going any better, she loved working at Molly's Coffee Shop. The customers were always friendly, the other staff were so forgiving when she scolded herself with the coffee machine and the pay was reasonable. The owner, Molly, was very understanding of Valerian's clumsiness and also was a closet Avengers fangirl, so that was a bonus for our heroine.

Life at the cafe was good. Life at home was not as peachy, Sebastian was still struggling to play his role as Captain America's Best Friend. His situation was causing tension in the Stan household. Valerian would try not to equire how Sebastian's day went, which meant she would have to tell him in immense detail about what had occured at the cafe, not exactly a great starter topic for an indepth conversation. So communication was rather muted. Wanting to avoid fans, aside from going to set for filming, Sebastian would stay at home, just sitting on the sofe watching movies (nothing Marvel, Marvel was banned). This was the pattern Valerian came home to every night.

That was why she wrote Fanfiction, she had to escape the banal life that Sebastian was providing his wife. Her writing was going well, she had reached 1000 views on her Bucky Barnes one shots. She was getting more attention from strangers than her own husband. Valerian understood what a difficult time her frustrated actor was going through, that's why she kept the writing a secret, if he found out that she was writing stories on the character he most loathed, let's just say that all 'Hel' would break loose. Something the brunette was trying to avoid.

At the cozy cafe, lunch time was now in full swing. Workers, business men and woman, pedestrians and chic artists all wanted something nurishing to eat and in NYC, there was no where better to get some tasty homemade food than Molly's Cafe, which was famous for it's chicken soup and Club Sandwiches. Valerian loved being front of house, she loved talking to the people that New York had to offer. The stories they told, the lives they led, there was a whole World out there that she had never even knew had existed.

After serving over fifty customers in twenty minutes, Valerian was glad that she would have her lunch break soon, a Club Sandwich never seemed so appealing. "Who's next?" she called to the throng of people milling about in small space. Quickly mopping some spilled coffee on the counter, Valerian disposed of the soiled towel, washed her hands and prepared herself to serve another member of the public.

She nearly had a heart attack when she came face to face with Sebastian. From his angered gaze, red eyes and clenched jaw, this was not a social visit. "We need to talk. Now." his tone was as hostile as his gaze.

Thankfully, Molly (the owner) could see that Sebastian was spoiling for an argument and understood that this would be a perfect time for Valerian to have her lunch break. "Valerian, love, why don't you take your lunch break now? You and, er, your friend here can have a nice discussion in the staff room." the intuitive woman guided Valerian and her angered spouse towards a door with a sign that said 'STAFF ONLY'.

Twenty minutes later, Sebastian was storming out of the cafe, more infuriated than when he had entered the small establishment. Valerian trailed behind a few steps behind, tears running down her face. Exiting her workplace, she tried to catch up with her husband as their argument began to spill onto the pavement outside. "Sebastian, Sebastian please listen to me!"

"Why," he called over his shoulder over the roar of New York's city life. "why sould I? You never cared enough to listen to me." he suddenly turned on his heels, facing her. She stopped walking and stood before him, panting from her exertions. "Bucky Fanfiction, Val, Winter f***ing Soldier romances. You couldn't just keep that awful character out of our home life for a few months, could you? You knew how a felt about him, how couldn't even bare to say his name, yet you wrote about him. You wrote f***ing requests about him! Couldn't you have written about anything else, anything else, Val, you're a Whovian, a Potterhead, you could have written about anything, why him?!"

"I don't know, Sebastian..." she wiped her eyes free of tears, trying to focus on the man she loved. "I've just been feeling so, so alone at the moment. You barely talk to me any more, it's like I'm living with the shadow of Sebastian Stan. Writing about Bucky, it made me feel, I don't know, closer to the man I married. This is not you. This is not the man I married. So, I'm sorry about the writing, I'll stop, I promise I won't anymore. Just please, just talk to me Sebastian, tell me what's wrong. What you're going through, plenty of people- actors- have gone through this kind of crisis. We can work through this..."

He stood there, tears in his own eyes. How could she have betrayed him like this? "No," his voice broke. "I think we're done talking, Val. I've got to go back to the set and when I get home, I want to gone, I need some time away from you and...I don't think us living together is going to help me sort myself out. Not this time."

And with that, he walked away, leaving Valerian feeling numb and hurt. And now homeless