Awkward Kitchen

A/N: Dedicated to @superwholockian101 for the continued support (and votes!) and for writing amazing imagines.

Isla lay on her bed in the early hours of the morning writing Fanfiction, wondering what her Aunt and her boyfriend had planned for her birthday. The only clue that they had given her was the word 'cabin' but that could mean anything. She hoped that it was a log cabin with a real fireplace but knowing her family, it would be something obscure. Her eyes began to glaze over with tiredness, she should of been sleeping but Isla was feeling too restless, the idea of moving to America was just too worrying for her. It was plaguing her mind with anxious thoughts.

Turning off her computer after completing the updated story, Isla sat there in the darkness, unsure what to do next. Her eyes glanced at the digital clock on her night stand, it's red LED lights informed her that it was five in the morning. Would anyone be awake?

Slipping out of bed, Isla pulled a dressing gown around her pajama-covered body and exited her bedroom as quietly as possible. Walking down the dimly-lit hallway, she gazed outside of the window, for a moment she admired the weak glow of sunlight, creeping out from behind the cloud-filled night sky. Isla continued her journey, passing by various bedrooms. She passed Asa's, Isla had considered seeing if he was awake but his quiet snore had confirmed differently. She finally reached Connor's room, the bedroom's door was slightly ajar, the bed was neatly made and was Connor Jessup free. Where could he be? she thought.

The youngest Cassanova female made her way downstairs, taking extra care not to step on any of the steps that creaked. When she was one the last step, Isla froze, hearing a noise coming from the kitchen. She peeked her head around the corner, noticing that the light was on. Was it Connor in the kitchen? She silently made her way to the door, with all the courage she could muster, Isla opened the slab of oak wood. Her heart skipped a beat when it squeaked on it's hinges, if it wasn't Connor, then whoever the intruder was would know that she was there!

But was him. Connor was sat at the kitchen table, writing something in his leatherbound notebook. He looked up at his girlfriend and smiled sleepily at her. Ilsa noticed that he looked as exhausted as she felt, yet here they both were, still awake. "Hey." he whispered a greeting to her.

"Hey," she mirrored his tone. "you couldn't sleep either?"

He nodded and gestured for her to sit in the chair beside him. Isla sat in the chair and leaned her head on Connor's strong shoulder, which resulted in him wrapping his arms around her, drawing Isla closer to him.

"What are you working on?" she mumbled into the fabric of his hoodie.

"I'm just reading through one of the scripts for the final season of Falling skies."

Isla looked up at her handsome boyfriend. "Do you want some help learning the lines?"

Connor kissed her forehead affectionately. "Sure thing." he unwrapped his left arm from around her so that he could the script. "Would you read River's part?"

XOX

Ben Mason was concerned, concerned for the well-being of his best friend, River Caller. Not only was he worried but also feeling guilty, it was his fault that she was in this state. No, he had not personally shot her, that was all of Pope's doing, but she was his friend and because of his previous history regarding the Skitters, River's reputation had been tainted by that.

Razorbacks was the chosen name for ex-harnessed children. When the harness had been removed, it left strange spikes implanted in the spine. Most people did not dare say the phrase in public but amongst each other it was freely used.

River was one of the only civilians not to be cautious of the "hybrids", in fact she had befriended the middle Mason son very quickly. Of course, it had made people suspicious of her, whispering that she was a "Skitter Sympathiser'. The blonde-haired male had been grateful to have her as a companion. How Ben hated himself for being the cause to River's pain. He would have pulled the spikes out of his back with his bare hands if it meant people would stop judging them both.