Chapter 1

5 YEARS LATER

I turned off the oven as I pulled the pot roast out. "Liyah!" I yelled down the hallway towards her bedroom. I smiled to myself once I heard her little feet scurring to the kitchen. "Is daddy here yet?" She asked grabbing a hold on my leg. "No not yet, but can you set the table for me? Im sure he'll be here any second." She nodded. I turned to the counter and picked up the stack of plates and forks and handed it to her.

"Can I show daddy the drawing I made?" She asked, sitting the first fork down. I nodded. "Of course, you can go get it after you finish." She nodded. I turned around from the stove, and watched her place the last plate and fork down on the table. "Thank you baby." She ran off towards her bedroom, leaving me alone to fix the rest of the table by myself.

I sat a glass by each plate, when my phone vibrated on the counter. I turned around and glanced over to see Stasia calling me. I placed the last cup on the table, and answered.

ME: "Hello?"

STASIA: "Hey, you busy?"

ME: "Not really, Im just getting dinner ready."

STASIA: "Of course, like every other night."

ME: "You know August likes to eat as soon as he comes home, but wassup? You need something?"

STASIA: "No, I just wanted have some girl talk, but I know your tied up right now."

ME: "Oh, alright...do you want to come over tommorow then?"

STASIA: "Yeah sure, I'll call you when Im on the way."

 ME: "Alright."

I hung up the phone and sat it by my spot on the table. Just then, I heard the front door close. A smile appeared on my face, when I realized August was home. "Where everybody at?" I heard him semi-yell. I turned on my heels, making my way around the corner and to the front door, but Aliyah beat me to it.

She zoomed right infront of me, running towards the door. I chuckled and shook my head, watching her. "Daddy!" She yelled. August held out his arms, waiting for her embrace. She locked her arms around his neck, and he stood up straight, letting her rest on his hip.

"Wassup Li-Li?" She kissed his cheek and smiled. "I've been waiting on you all day, what took so long?" August chuckled. "Im sorry princess, I was workin." She nodded. "I know, I made you something." "What is it?" She wiggled out of his arms and landed on her feet.

"I'll be right back!" She ran off towards her bedroom, leaving us alone. "Hey beautiful." I turned around towards him and smirked. "Hey." I pulled him into me, kissing his lips quickly. "Something smells good, is dinner ready?" I nodded. "Yeah, I'll go make your plate." I turned around to walk away, but he grabbed my hand, pulling me back.

"Yo ass looking good in dem leggings." He whispered into my ear. I opened my mouth to speak, but the sound of Aliyah's voice stopped me. "Look!" She ran in between August and I, shoving a paper in his face. He took the paper from her and smirked. "That's you, me and mommy, see?" He nodded. "Yeah I see....but what's that?" He asked turning the paper and pointing so she could see.

"Oh, that's a puppy." He nodded slowly. "We don't have a puppy." She looked down at the ground and nodded. "I know...I was hoping we could get one." August and I both laughed. "You really want a puppy?" She nodded and smiled at him. "Can she get a puppy?" He asked looking up at me.

I sighed and shook my head. "No, we had this talk before, not until she's older." Aliyah sighed. "Pleaseeeee mommy?" I shook my head. "No, not yet, but in a few more years you can have one." She sighed again and made her way into the kitchen.