Understand

"Hello?"

"Hey... It's Shawn."

I laugh quietly to myself. He says his name every time, but I could pick out his voice from a crowd of 1 million people if I had to.

"Yeah I know. Is everything okay? It's 2 in the morning..."

"Y-Yeah.. I just-I wanted to let you know that I'll always be there for you. Even though we haven't seen each other in a few months-In person I mean.. I-I love you, Y/n."

I pause for a second and feel my eyes close as I smile to myself in the darkness of my bedroom. Shawn and I have been together for about 2 years, so of course we've said 'I love you's' before... but every single one still manages to make my heart flutter.

"I love you too, Shawn. You know that, right?"

"Yeah. It is nice to be reminded once in a while though." I hear him laugh softly on the other end of the phone, and it makes me miss him even more than I did before. All I've wanted these past few weeks is to be able to hug him and not worry about how much time we have together. I want to be able to go out to dinner with him and talk about nothing, but everything all at once. Wearing his hoodies everyday helps when I miss his scent, but hoodies can only last for so long.

"Oh shit, isn't it 5am over there? You should probably get some sleep, babe." 

"Don't worry about me. I can't sleep now that your pretty voice is in my head either way." I smile as I hear movement in his bed over the phone. He's probably turning over onto his left side, like he always does, and I can bet my life on him hugging a pillow right now. I'm hugging a pillow too. Before he left, we gave each other our favorite pillows that were sprayed with our "signature" scents, and then off he went for 4 months on tour.

"When are you getting back?" 

"2 more months, darling.. 2 more months." I sigh dramatically at his response. "Can I tell you something?"

"You know you can tell me anything, Shawn."

"Okay. Well, I've been getting kind of lonely, and every time my managers and the gang want to have an afterparty, they're all with their wives or their fiance's or whatever, and I make up some lame excuse on why I can't go. You know?"

"Yeah. It's normal to feel like that though. We aren't used to not seeing each other for so long. My schedule has been pretty hectic with all of the modeling gigs too."

"No, no that's not what I meant. I mean-Yeah, kind of, but-I-well. How do I say this?"

"Just spit it out you weirdo." I giggle as I sit up in bed, anticipation replacing my lonely state.

"I want to get married."

I rub my eyes for a second, and open them again to see that this, in fact, is not a dream. Shawn Peter Raul Mendes telling me he wants to get married? The same Shawn who 3 years ago told me we would never work because of our age gap of 5 years? The same Shawn who-

"Hello? You still there?" He chuckles nervously. 

"Y-Yeah I'm here. Umm.." I pause for a moment as I'm trying to gather my thoughts.

"If you don't feel the same that's fine I-well I was just rambling.. probably, and I don't know uhh.."

"No that's not at all what it is. I'm beyond happy that you said that. I feel the same way. I've just been too scared to bring it up to you."

"Oh! Oh that's cool, that's great, that's-that uhh that-." I can hear the awkwardness mixed with excitement in his voice, and I can't help but let my smile grow. Great, now I look like some creep who's smiling in the dark by themselves.

"So, let's get married then."

"Let's get married."

*•*•*•*•*•

hiiiii

vote, share, comment, and do whatever else your heart desires <3

thank u all soo so much for 1k! i honestly didn't think this book would get over 100 so that's pretty crazy. i love all of you!!

byeee