Chapter Twenty-One

"Just dance!"
I closed my eyes allowing the music to take over me, I went to let go of Dylan's hand since he was not dancing with me but he gripped onto me tightly, that was the only grip I had on reality.

I opened my eyes, everything, everywhere I looked it just all seemed to slow down, I looked at Dylan who was looking at me, I could not quite comprehend his expression.
"We should stay here," I tell him, he leans down to hear me better. I repeat what I said and he frowns. "Let's never leave."
"We can't Avery," he says.
"Why?"
"We can't Avery," he says.
I pushed him off me, he stumbled back surprised.
I rush through the crowd, I was short so it made it easier to hide but blending in was another story, I moved around the room and saw that there was another room, I stumbled towards it just to get away from Dylan, he did not understand. But what was it that he did not understand? How could he understand something that I wasn't so sure on myself? These thoughts were causing nothing but confusion, my head was spinning too much.

Everywhere around me felt like I was in and out of reality, my skin felt like it was on fire and sweat was trickling down my forehead and back, it was so hot in here.
I turned to see Noah behind me.
"Noah?" I smiled at my friend. "How are you here? How is your leg? Oh, I am so happy you're here!"
Noah stared me down, he was angry.
"Noah?" I repeated a little scared at his behavior. I expected this reunion to be different.
"Shouldn't have left me behind," Noah says in an emotionless tone. "Arcane has me... we need to find a cure... Come back, Avery... Come back to me..."
I backed away, that couldn't be true. I spun around to see that boy...
What was his name?
Nick?
Nick stood there, his eyes as black as night, covered in those black veins staring at me. He was infected by the infection.
"Nick?" I whispered. His head snapped up as if realising I was there before him.
He screams at me.
I turn to get away from him and came face-to-face with Linda.
"You shouldn't have left," she says.
"Why are people telling me I shouldn't have left... you tortured people," I began to cry covering my face with my hands.
This isn't real.
Just block it out!
"We need to find a cure," Linda says. "It is the only way we can save mankind. You cannot survive out here."
I look up at her, I am sick of hearing about this damn cure.
"Stick the cure up your ass," I go to turn away from her but instead of people dancing around the room, I was surrounded by them all standing there... infected with the disease. I scrambled back in horror, I started to hyperventilate from this experience.
"All these people will die," Linda continues, "how can you be so selfish?"
"Just stop!" I shouted covering my ears. "Just stop!"
"We're going to come for you Avery," Linda continues on. "We will have you whether you're willingly or not."
"NO!" I shout. "STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!"
I stumbled forward and into someone's arms.
I look up to see the red-haired Angus. I had fallen into his arms.
"Easy there," he looked concerned.
"Get off," I shoved him. How stupid, he was twice my size and twice my weight, he did not but budge. "Stay away from me you fucking creep!"
It was then when I noticed that the room was back to the way it was, no infected in sight, no Noah, no Nick and especially no Linda.
"Avery," Angus says. I look at him, the world around me looked distorted, my body felt heavy, I did not feel in control in the things that I was saying or doing, but that being said I just wanted to go home... but where is home is the question?

"You have been drugged," Angus says looking around the room. 
I turn to spot Dylan in the crowd, relief washed through me. I raised my hand up in the air, catching his attention. He looked relieved as well but as soon as he saw who I was with, his expression darkened. He pushes people aside just to get to me, I shoved Angus back again and wrapped my arms around Dylan, when I felt that he was real I realised him.

"Linda is here!" I shout looking around the room nervously. "She's going to take me away! Don't let her take me away Dylan!"
"I won't," he presses his forehead against mine. "She is not here Avery, you are safe with me."
Angus looks between the two of us. "I knew it, I knew she was familiar."
Dylan looks at him. "Fuck off"
"Want to go little boy? She is the property of Arcane."
"You want her? Over my dead body!"
"JUST STOP!" I scream rolling my head up, my eyes glowing. "Leave me alone!"
Dylan grabbed me forcing me to face into his chest. I tried to push him away but he was too strong compared to my weakened state, I just did not feel like fighting anymore.
"We can't let them know your immune," Dylan whispers, "please Avery... I am here, you are safe."

I went limp in his arms...
He was right, he would protect me...

He felt like my home...