Chapter 19: Fear

Well, it was Brite's birthday, but she was in the hospital. Drift simply couldn't be in any more pain  than he already was. His love, who had comforted him throughout all his outbursts, was still unconscious, and the doctors had no idea what was going on with her. The only "normal" thing was a broken ankle from being knocked back by the cube and having a rough landing. Drift tried talking to Rex and Cuddles to alleviate some of his pain, but it couldn't help. Brite was the one for him, no woman would ever make him feel the way Brite did. Sometimes, Drift would get so upset that Rex and Cuddles would claim his eyes started to glow bright purple and generate the lightning he normally would generate during an outburst. Drift decided to get a checkup himself. Field surgeon said that nothing was different, just that his anger would trigger more outbursts, and that he should try to stay calm. Stay calm? STAY CALM!?!? His love, the biggest optimist on the island, was in the hospital! How could he stay calm!?!? Well, he wanted to marry Brite, but... looks like he'd have to wait.

-

Two days later, Drift got a call from the hospital that Brite was concious again. Phew. He, along with Rex and Cuddles, stayed in a hotel in tilted. Either way, he immediately headed down to the hospital after hearing the news.

Drift talked to Brite, who was still on the bed. "Oh my god, Brite, you're okay! I was so worried about you!" "Drifty, th...thanks..." "Oh, and, uh, happy belated birthday!" He kissed her on the lips. "Th...thanks... anyways, w...what's your gift?" Drift's cheeks went red, good thing he had the mouth mask. "Uh... it'll have to wait. Point is, I'm just glad you're okay. Now, I... uh... I gotta get some lunch... love you." "Love you too." Drift was just about to walk out, when Brite said, "Wait! There's something I need to tell you!" Drift came back over. "I'm listening." Brite took a deep breath. "W...when I looked into the cube, I..I saw a reflection, but... it wasn't me..."