Chapter 16: Cold

Cold. That was all he felt. Surrounded by darkness, shrouded in fear. What was this? What was happening? Drift didn't understand anything. He didn't know what to do. But then he felt Brite's arms wrap around him, and immediately all those feelings went away. "Drifty, are you okay?"  "A-as long as I'm with you, Britey. As long as I'm with you." Rex and Cuddles ran out of the gas station. "What happened? We heard lightning and saw bright flashes of light!" Drift replied, "I... you guys won't beleive what happened... some of those Enforcer guys came out of a rift, and... It happened again..."

Drift blacked out in the back of the cart, in Brite's arms. When he woke up, he seemed to be in a hospital. Standing over him was Brite Bomber and a nurse. "Oh thank god, you're okay. You passed out again and we got you checked out to see what happened." "Well, what is it?" The nurse answered, "Looks like you've got interdimensional residue all over you. Your very existence seems to be bending space-time itself. You might notice some rift-related things happened to you. Your girlfriend here said that your scythe teleported right into your hand and zapped some interdimensional police." "Yeah, tell me about it." "You created a rift." "I what!?!?" "It may sound surprising, but you did it." The nurse looked over at some papers, then said, "whoops, forgot to introduce myself. The name's Field Surgeon."