Going Home

Richie

He re-emerged from the portal, coated in membrane once again. The scent of fresh pine and the familiar surroundings of the Derry forest surrounded his senses. The sun was beginning to set now, casting a light blue over the sky mixed with red and orange. He couldn't help but smile.

"Bill! Bill, is that you?" The voice of Sharon Denbrough called out.

Bill's mother raced over to Bill and surrounded him in a hug, accompanied by his father.

"Where the hell have you been this past week?" Zack Denbrough cried out.

"Eddie? Eddie Kaspbrak!" A large, overweight woman by the name of Sonia Kaspbrak came running up to Eddie, squeezing him into her embrace.

One by one, Richie's friend's parents came flooding to pick up Bill, Eddie, Stan and Cassie. Police officers also came flooding in but Richie didn't really care for them. As a woman with curly black hair and dark brown eyes walked up to him with a welcoming, tearful smile. As she walked closer, she stretched out her arms to catch the young boy in her embrace.

He could smell rose perfume mixed with cooking butter as the woman hugged him tightly. She held Richie to her chest, sobbing with relief as she whispered to him, "We were so worried about you! Where have you been?"

A lot of questions were on his mind, but he knew that this was no time to ask them. Instead, he replied quietly, "That's a story for another time."

If that time ever came.

His mother pulled away and kissed his forehead, leaving a red lipstick stain on it. But Richie didn't have the energy to wipe it away. He just wanted to go home, be with his family and sleep.

And with a "let's go home, Richard. Your father will be so happy to see you," from his mother, he knew that his wishes were coming true.

But he also couldn't wait to see his other family the next day.