Shatter

Richie

When the police officer and Bill re-emerged, Richie could see his face was a deathly pale. His eyes were bloodshot and he kept his gaze away from the others. Richie's heart ached for his friend, he had lost his brother and now, almost his twin sister as well due to her severe injuries.

"They're-They're getting her to the hoh-hoh-hospital. The Chief said that once he's finished talking to us we can go see her if we like," Bill mumbled, his gaze far away.

The boys nodded in reply and shuffled over to give Bill space to sit. Richie saw Bill lay his head on Stan's shoulder. Stan flinched but didn't say anything.

And so began the waiting.

*

A few hours later they were at the hospital outside Cassie's room, waiting.

Richie began to feel a tearing headache come on and he hunched over, closing his eyes and massaging his temples with his hands. A high pitched frequency began in his ears again, just like before.

"Richie! Is it happening again?" Eddie cried out but Richie could hear him just barely.

Richie nodded weakly in reply as the pain began to fade.

Richie, are you there? Mike's voice called within Richie's head.

Mike? What the fuck are you doing in my head again? Richie asked, confused.

El showed me how to talk to you again, she said you guys needed help. Mike explained.

El? Richie retorted in confusion.

Short for Eleven.

She's right about it though, Cassie's had to be taken to the hospital and we're waiting to see her now.

Richie didn't hear what Mike had to say in return because Eddie began to scream.

He looked up to see his friend's face scrunched up, his eyes shut closed and a high pitched scream erupting from his mouth.

"Eddie! What's wrong?" Richie cried out.

Eddie didn't respond. Instead, he continued to scream, his nose beginning to bleed. The lights began to flicker heavily as his screams raised.

Scared and confused on how to help his friend, his heart began to shatter, the pieces breaking away bit by bit.

The police officers and medical staff rushed over to the young boy, a look of puzzlement covering all their faces.

"What's wrong with him?" The Chief called over the screams.

"We don't know!" Richie called back.

Richie, is everything okay? Mike's voice echoed clearly through his head despite the screams.

The lights shattered before Richie could respond, causing the glass to shatter everywhere and the room to be enshrouded in darkness. Eddie's screams turned into raspy, heavy sobs and Richie could see his figure shiver in the darkness.

He rushed to the sounds of his sobs and wrapped his arms around his friend. Eddie sobbed into his chest and Richie's heart was completely broken by the second. What had happened? Was he okay?

"It hurt so much," Eddie wheezed.

Richie began to soothe his friend, rubbing his hand on his friend's back. "Calm down Eds, you're gonna give yourself an asthma attack."

A warm, fluttery sensation began to grow in Richie's chest that wasn't familiar to him. It began to mend his heart with slow stitching and caused him to feel giddy and nervous. But he managed to maintain his composure for his friend. Richie had to calm him down and see if Eddie was okay before he even thought about figuring out what the hell that feeling in his chest was.