Remorse

Mike

He stormed out of Dustin's basement, fury blazing hot and heavy in his chest as tears threatened to fall down. He felt a hand place itself gently on his right shoulder and the temptation to smack it off grew in him. Instead, he turned around to see Lucas staring at him with sympathetic eyes.

Lucas spoke to his friend gently, "Mike, can you please just calm down for a second? We can work this out."

Mike felt the hot sensation in his chest spread to his knuckles, "Calm down? You want me to calm down after that asshole just admitted to lying to us about Will!?"

"He didn't lie, Mike," Dustin interrupted, running up to his friends, "He forgot, a lot of stuff has happened these past few days and-"

"Oh, so now you believe him!?" Mike screamed at his friend. "How do you know he hasn't lied to us about that as well? And how come you trust him so easily now?"

Dustin crossed his arms, "They've been through a lot of shit, Mike. They're stranded in an alternate dimension with no way home, you should take it easy on them. And don't forget that Bill's human as well. We all are. And that means we all fuck up and make mistakes."

He threw up his arms at this, "Why do you believe this horseshit? And how do you know we can trust them?"

"Do you think they'd lie about this? Use your brain, Mike, they need all the help they can get," Dustin argued.

Mike could feel the fury in his knuckles boil hotter and hotter until the point where it felt like they would set ablaze from the pure anger. He couldn't believe what he was hearing from both of his best friends, especially after being deceived by Bill. He looked over to see Eleven staring at him with deep care and consideration. Despite upon seeing Eleven and his chest fluttering with butterflies and birds, he didn't want to see anybody right now, especially Dustin.

Dustin continued. He walked up to Mike and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Alright Mike, he messed up and he's sorry for that. But the mature thing we've got to do right now is to find a way to get Will out of the place he's trapped in. You need to calm your shi-"

Mike didn't think, just reacted. All the anger that had been stirring in his fists took control of his arm and planted itself unto Dustin's cheek. His friend stumbled back, holding a hand to his cheek and looking up at him with pure pain and shock. Instant regret and shame flooded Mike's chest at what he had just done.

"Holy shit, Dustin, I'm so sorry," He said breathlessly.

Dustin shot him the finger before grumbling, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Mike had to get away and calm down, now. He began to walk back slowly before turning around and running away from what he'd just done. He knew it was the coward thing to do, but he needed to calm down before he did anything else irrational. He would wait for the situation to die down before he apologised to Dustin again, he felt like it was the better thing to do after all.

Mike bolted back into his house and slammed the door behind him. He ignored his mother's yells at him to not do such a thing and raced straight into his room. He closed the door behind him and finally let the tears full of remorse and sadness flow from his eyes. Mike sobbed into his pillow, not caring if anybody heard him cry, he just needed to let it out.