The Confusion

Ben took a deep breath, then looked at Sarna, "we are in trouble Jackson stopped east of Augusta, attack on the Gulf."  "Ben, we need to find a way to beat them back." Sarna hit the table, " Damn it!"
"I allowed myself to be, duped!"  "Sarna calm down, what is the problem?" Jacob looked at her, "daughter the problem please."  Sarna rested her left hand on her sword handle, "Father we've been
suckered into an attack on our rear, Grand Bay and Mobile."  Jacob shook his head, " no Sarna not suckered, caught off guard."  " We, you need to clear your head, I am sure, Burns is countering this move."

Ben nodded, handing Jacob the message. "See, Sarna, Burns is countering." " Jackson is taking up defenses positions, east of Augusta."  Jacob sat down tapped the table in thought. " What can you do, to help? think about it before answering." Sarna paced some, then sat. "For now nothing, we must be ready to protect our rear" As she looked up, "good Garret, Lana sit, please." Lana crossed her arms, "so why the meeting without warning?"

Ben sat down, " where is Chad?" Garret pointed, " you should know, he has line duty today." Sarna fought back a need to shout, " The Republic has attacked Grand Bay and Mobile, Jackson has been stopped east of Augusta." Lana said " Mobile Grand Bay!" shaking her head, " Jackson stopped, that one is slow, to react!"  " That is why he is stopped, have Burns kick his rump get him moving!"

"Jackson has moved well, so far." Sarna continued, "no need to kick him to move yet."  Looking at her map, " we should maybe, prepare to move some Divisions southwest."  " That would free up forces north to help Jackson." Ben pointed at the map, "what if, they aren't headed this way? What if they are going to head north towards Columbus, Atlanta."

Garret tugged at his mustache, " I think we should just send Chad someone we trust to take his Corp towards, Tifton that way he can support in any move they make." Lana shrugged, " nothing more that we can do." Sarna pushed the map around, thought a moment, " only half his Corp, rest will replace Army of Carolina losses. We will combine,
head north to Saint George. Block any move from Columbia." Jacob grinned over at Sarna, " good to see clear thoughts coming out. Sarna you and Walson need to meet, maybe talk to that General Ansted again."  Sarna nodded, " Lana send for Walson, Ben you talk to Ansted. He seems to like you." Father send a runner out to Chad, have him make ready to move. That's all."

Jacob waited, for Lana and Garret to leave. "Sarna I talked with Mitch, he is not needed as a message rider. Maybe a quick ride towards Augusta, check out Jackson's situation." Sarna nodded," do it, Father, send him out, tell him  he is our eyes and ears."  Jacob turned to the door, looked back, "Ben think like a Ranger when you talk to Ansted. Bye, your leave."

                                  Prisoner Section

Ansted paced the small room, thinking they want to talk again. What has happened? Have they decided to press charges? I've been honest with them. Told what I know, if asked. Oh, damn General just sit, you fool. Ansted managed a smile, "Ben, sorry General, what is it you need?"

"Ben or Ranger, a do."  Ben sat down, motioned for Ansted to sit. Ben lit, his pipe tossed the tobacco to Ansted. "I have papers if you need them?" Ansted shook his head, as he rolled his smoke. "This is my last one, more questions?" Ben blew smoke rings,
squinted from the swirl near his eye. "Ansted, what is the plans, if any for your counterattack?"

Ansted shrugged, looked at Ben, " to be honest, two plans were put out." shifting in his seat. "Both were ridiculous, they weren't really counterattacks." Ben said, " what were they?"

Ansted smiled, "our normal advance, the first one."
"It relied too much on our Navy." Putting out his smoke, "we attack at Fort Morgan and Gaines, make our move up to Atlanta, then Cow pens." Moving his finger across the table. "Then up to the Wasteland, effectively cutting you off, from a retreat west." Ben nodded, "your second plan?" Ansted clasped his hands and pointed them, "This one my boss and I liked." leaning over the table at Ben, an attack from Charleston and Savannah, swing towards Valdosta up to the Wasteland." Tapping the table, a push from DC south and west to the Pens." 

Ben pushed his chair back stood, "General I'll be right back."  looking in his saddlebag well only two maybe three drinks left of this corn drippings. It will have to do. Smiling as he entered the room. "General, corn drippings, has a nice warm but sweet taste." placing the bottle in front of him. "Go on it's yours." sitting down Ben stretched his legs out. "Now, General, the first plan why didn't you like it? Something about your Navy?"

Ansted pointed at the tobacco. Ben nodded. Ansted rolled another, lit it exhaling. "You have done a lot of damage, more than our Assembly and Senate will admit too."  Ben asked, "how so?" hitting his smoke, "you hurt a lot of ships at Charleston, with those attacks months back, your recent attacks here and the loss of the Carter." Putting out his smoke, "I don't think the Navy has enough support and fuel, to move from Mobile or those Forts." Ansted leaned back some, "they can get to Mobile, they won't be able to leave!"

Ben opened the bottle, took a drink pushed it over to Ansted. Pulling it closer,  "listen, I am being honest, here go for the Assembly! You might just get a surrender the very least some kind of living agreement." Taking a drink, Sir, that is all I know."

Ben pushed his chair back stood, held out his hand. As he shook Ansted's hand, "General, thank you, good day Sir." Ansted said, "your tobacco and bottle." Ben waved it off, "keep it." Climbing on his horse, Ben thought some, if they can't leave, once getting to Mobile and Grand Bay, why do it? I feel Ansted is telling me what he knows. They must be expecting more fuel. I am not for his thoughts of assassinating the Assembly members. That is wrong. Shaking his head, it may be the only way to end this. Good, I see Walson's horse, he is still here.

Ben sat down near Sarna," I've news Sarna, Walson." Ben looked at them, "the way it sounds this was a planned push, we may have just slowed it from going into action." Sarna asked, planned?"
"Yes planned you two, if they haven't changed it up. They are headed to the pens, then the Wasteland."  "Ansted thinks they don't have enough fuel to leave the Gulf." Walson smiled, "the Navy will be trapped unable to sail." Ben nodded, "least that's Ansted's thinking."

Sarna grinned pushed away from the table, stood. "We still send Chad to Tifton, just in case they changed the plan up." Resting her right hand on her pistol, General keep your plan moving for Charles Town, tell Fort Clinch to send help to Morgan." As she paced "We need to know what of Charles Town and the ships within the harbor, why haven't we heard from Stanson?" Walson said
"Meyer returned early not more than an hour ago."

"Sarna he is probably on his way now." Standing "Sarna, Ben if that is all, I'll get back start this push now." Sarna smiled, "General always wanting to charge on, go move onward as planned." Hugging Ben, "do you believe Ansted?" Giving her a quick kiss, "yes, unless he can lie better than most I believe him."  Sarna released her hug, "until word from Bill, I'll not message Burns."

Best place to end this one. Is Ansted telling the truth? What of the Navy at Charles Town?
Thanks for reading. Vote comment please.