Charles Town

PART THREE
Louse is set up at Beaufort, using a lazy W formation to the front wedge to the rear. Set out pickets then patrols. Placed a couple of Batteries to his right on a small hilltop. Louse was set he figured the best he could for his position. He sent a runner to inform Sarna. First Corp First United Army Second Corp Army of Carolina.

                Map of Charles Town or Charleston

Liza handed Sarna the message, runner from Louse. He is waiting outside. Send him in Liza, I'd like to speak to him. Elder, Ranger Lars reports.
Easy Ranger, it's just us in here, relax. So Colonel says he is set in position and pickets and patrols are working. You should write this Lars, Louse, make it a point to keep me informed. Least one rider a day till we join you, Sarna. Did you get that Lars? Yes, Elder, is that all? Sarna nodded then smiled at him, you read it to him before handing it to him please, that is it. I need to water my horse and I'll be off. Bye, your leave. Safe ride Lars.

Sarna looked down at her map, no word from Burns. Our line is solid, no movement if this is a sucker move. I'm not seeing it, maybe they are consolidating. Think Sarna, think what bold move, what would you do? I know, I would attack from Grand Bay or Bayou La Batre. Bypass Mobile, push my way to Albany. If that works I would push from Charles Town to Albany, almost my plan in reverse. Cut half our Army off, hammer anvil.
We must consolidate ourselves, make our sweep in two days no more. Sarna yelled, Ben you ready?
Bill should be here soon, we leave for our entrance into Savannah.

Sarna, I'm ready, just fastening my pistol belt. You got that hooded cape on? You said you didn't want to be seen. Yes, Ben come on! Sarna turn around I'm right here. Ben, why do you, do that walk so quiet. Even with boots on? Just so I can get a quick hug, without you knowing. Liza smiled you two act like you're new lovers! Bill is pulling up, best get.
I'll let the rest know you've left. Sarna, they'll know it's you, coming in trust me. Word has spread somehow they'll know. Ben nodded I'm thinking the same, Liza, hold the fort down.

Bill, smiled at them, Owens headed back last night, Taft went back with him. Sarna, Ben best prepare yourselves. Savannah is in a bad way, almost totally destroyed. Take her years to recover. Houses, warehouses burned to the ground, destruction from artillery. They are still removing the dead. Lucky it's still late winter, or the smell would gag ya. Sarna nodded but said nothing. Ben looked at her, this couldn't be avoided Sarna, they wouldn't leave. Walson only did as you asked.

We must face what we ordered. Nothing more, people knew this would happen. Ben, what have I done, we've done? So many dead, the ones not deserving to die. I know I must order this to happen again and again. May they forgive me.
Bill took her hand, dear lady as Ben is like a son to me, you are like a daughter. War is a mean nasty business, do what is needed nothing more. They will forgive you.

Sarna felt ill as they drove by houses gutted from cannon fire and then burning. Bodies being placed in carts to be burned. Too many to try and bury. The smell of smoke, spent powder still lingered in some spots. Crews clearing streets, people yelling names of missing loved ones. Fires still burned near the warehouse and manufacturing district along the waterfront. Stanson shouted stop! Stop the carriage Talbart! Looking at a young lady carrying a baby, crying I need food water. My baby can't eat, I'm not making milk! Bill glanced at the infant, Mam, your child is dead. Please put the child down, we'll get you to a safe place.