Liz And The Rifle

We've learned a few things, Liz Howard is the Daughter of Common. Besides protecting Sarna and snippers, what is the other mission?  She hasn't spoken of? Time will tell I guess. Liz is off learning about the rifle used by the Republic.

Liz grabbed one rifle put it down, this one has the magazine in it. They didn't train me on this weapon. Said they probably didn't use it to old.
Grabbing a crate of ammo. I can tell from looking at it, they did have a picture of it, M14 replaced the older M1. Well, can't be too hard to make it work.

       The Weapon Liz is taking along with ammo

                                   M14 Rifle

Well, the Keepers can't get it all right. Only speculation anyway, as to what they would be using. They can only figure from the last Military weapon they know of. No big thing, as she stepped out of the wagon. Mitch, what you doing here?
Liz, oh, just out thinking is all. What you inta?

Going to see if I can get this rifle to shoot, want to come with me? Don't have ta ask again, sure lead the way. Mitch smiled, ya know those thins fire might fast. About like a pistol maybe faster. Called semiautomatic Mitch. Might long word for fast ain't it? Just a bit Mitch just a bit, long. Liz asked you one or married Mitch. Was at one time, still love her, ya know bein a Ranger and all. We don't speak much, think she has another on the side.

Sorry to hear that. Oh not a bother, what about you? Fine lookin lady an all. Never been called fine, nice, pleasant, only thing I've been called.
Think that means all, the same thin, leastways I think it do. Here help a Ranger out tote this crate.
Sure as he took it. Didn't answer the question, Liz.

Mitch don't have anyone, waiting or pursuing me,
average looking female, Ranger to boot. Don't think anyone will. Now, that is just wrong, why I'd pursue you, damn sure would. Thanks, Mitch maybe, we can get to know each other better. Sure why not, maybe share a meal together. Well, after I get this rifle to shoot and I'm confident with it. Sure later this evening. Ok then, where goin ta shoot? Liz looked around sand dune in front of us, think this will do. Mitch run this burlap out got big red dot on it. I'll shoot at it stakes are wrapped up inside it. You got it. Mitch staked it out ran back.

Must be a hundred yards or better. Think you can hit that from here? Mean ya never fired that before. We'll see, think this releases the magazine.
Well, look it that! Dropped plum out Liz. Liz looked at it opened the crate up. Grabbed a box out loaded the magazine up. Well, that's done this should open the breech. She shoved the magazine in.
Released the bolt. Well, Mitch, she should fire!
Liz looked down the sites. Squeezed the trigger bang the muzzle raised up slightly right. Mitch shouted I'll be damned! It fired Liz! Liz smiled yeah! This is nice, think I'll fire three more take a look see. Mitch said well that was three, let's take a look. Three hits Mitch one just above the dot. The rest inside it! Lan sakes, first time firing it too. You are one crack shot, Liz. 

Liz said I'll fire say twenty more, then we'll stop. Don't want waste ammo, I want to use this next time, we run into the enemy. The person that used this uses about the same site picture. Liz fired six more into the target. Checked those, Mitch at hundred yards, most are in that dot. I'm not going to mess with these sites. Do you want to try this out? Do I wanna try, lan sakes Liz, sure do! How many shots, I get? Take three Mitch, hell, just shoot what's left. Sure, now? Fire them up. Liz, I wanna tell ya now, ain't much good with a rifle.

Mitch, you going to shoot or not? Liz, don't be a missy. What ya think about fifty yards? About halfway Mitch. Well, think from here a do. First two he fired slow, I wanna see just how fast she fires! Mitch pulled the trigger five more times. The bolt locked back. Smoke swirled out of it. Lan sakes Liz, wow! Can't say more than wow! Fired fast as I could pull the trigger! Mitch handed her the rifle.

Liz, I stay off from the rest, I found little shed type buildin I stay in. My Company and Higher Command know where I'm at. Near the Smithy.
Stop on over, later share that meal. Liz smiled sure
be over about six. Mitch looked up at the sun, damn Liz, gotta run. Supposed ta meet Jacob in ten minutes. Liz smiled at him, best get then. Bye, your leave Mitch. Yesum, bye, yours.

Mitch yelled Jacob! Sorry I am a bit late! Can I come in? Jacob opened the flap, come in Mitch. We need to talk some, have a seat. Mitch sat looked at Jacob, what ya need? Mitch, I can't go into details right now. I may need you to go on a special mission. Let's just say, its not an order. Could be real dangerous. Jacob, I'll do it. When ya have the details. Just lets me know, danger don't bother me none. Mitch, you sure, not knowing what it is?

Now, I said I'd do it, can't give me any idea though?
No, I'm sorry I can't. Anyone, you trust, to go with you? No, not really Kit dead James also. Jacob, you are about, the only one left. I could begin ta trust.
I can tell you, this much. You'll be far to our front,
alone no one to help if you need it. I am a Ranger,
bein alone ain't a thin. Jacob nodded, figured you'd take it. Either Sarna, Ben or myself, will let you know, when and what it is. Probably be late tonight. Yesum, that all? That's it, Mitch, like a drink? Well, sure! Thought you never ask.

                            First United HQ

Thanks for, the ride into Savannah and back Bill.
Sarna no worry on that. Ya need me more today?
Ben shook his head, you go on back. Meyer should be in soon. Bring us what you know, in the morning. That I'll do, Sarna, Ben, ya two take care.
Bye, your leave. No by yours Bill. Sarna dear lady,
think we need ten minutes to relax. Before you start, thinking on our plan of attack. Think I've already got that planned out. Only if I knew what was going on with Burns and Jena. Liza looked at them, well the leaders are back. Savannah is in a bad way. Worse than you thought, ain't it?

Sarna, looked at Liza, yes Liza, I'll have to do this several times over! I hate myself. Any news from Burns? Rider came in about an hour ago, I have the message bag on the desk. Rider is sleeping waiting for a reply. Liza! Finally a message from Burns! Ben, you hear! I heard, we best read it. You are the one been bellyaching about it. Liza, have you decoded it? Yes, Ben put it back in the message bag. Sarna pushed her way between them, no time to break! Liza, call a meeting, say an hour from now! All Command officers? Yes, all that are here.
Sarna opened the bag.

General Burns
Commander Armies of Bama and Missasip.
To Commander First United.

Sarna, I have sent three riders your way, to you and General Walson. I hope the forth one makes it. We are two days into an attack at, Grand Bay, and Mobile. We are holding our own at Mobile, Grand Bay, has moved east towards Mobile in support. I am moving Troops and supplies now, to block a rush towards Valdosta. Fort Gaines has fallen, Morgan is holding her own. Mobile may last a week at most!

If we can't block the advance from, Grand Bay. Jackson is bogged down east of Augusta, he has taken up defensive positions. The Republic is counter-attacking Jackson. I have moved Troops from Biloxi to engage them from the rear at Grand Bay. Sarna, I'll do my best to push them into the Ocean! Or hold them at Valdosta.
General Burns

Ben, my worst fear, they have attacked the Gulf Coast! You best read this. I need a minute, I need air.

Think this is a good place to stop. Thanks for reading vote comment. Was this a planned Spring attack or a counter-attack placed by The Republic?